New forum active now!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: New forum active now!

Post by *MVV »

I can't edit my first posts too when I open topics normally, edit buttons are missing.
However if I open a topic via link to first post (that is available by clicking #1 near the first post), all my posts have edit button, as petermad said, but these buttons only open edit form for first post, for other old posts I see "You can no longer edit or delete that post.".
If I open a topic via link to any post except first one (by middle-clicking #nn near the post or by opening an url that is displayed in a message on left-click), edit buttons are missing again for all old posts including the first ones.

So, currently there is a way to edit first posts, but it is not quite transparent. :)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

wanderer wrote: 2018-07-30, 10:09 UTCIsn't "14 days" a bit much though? IMHO, editing a post after 15, 30 mins max may be a little risky because many people will have read it by then.
Not all people are in the forum all the time (not even me ;)). Meaning that it's not a good idea to think half an hour to edit posts is enough. However, IIRC I think the edit time on the old board was one or two days or something along those lines.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I used the wrong variable, $topic_data['post_id'] instead of $row['post_id'], so it showed the same icon for all rows. Now it should work as it should. You may need to press Ctrl+Shift+R to reload the page.

Btw, the old board had a timeout of 8 days to edit posts.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)

Now it sems to work :-)

I think 14 days for editing old post is fine.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

wanderer wrote: 2018-07-30, 10:09 UTCIsn't "14 days" a bit much though? IMHO, editing a post after 15, 30 mins max may be a little risky because many people will have read it by then.
On the other hand, that's why an Edit remark gets inserted automatically by the board software. I also think that 14 days isn't quite necessary, I'd rather opt for 7 days max, probably even less than that will do. A limit of 15-30 mins or a few hours is too short, though.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2018-07-30, 13:21 UTC Btw, the old board had a timeout of 8 days to edit posts.
Wow, I didn't ever notice this.
petermad wrote: 2018-07-30, 13:40 UTC I think 14 days for editing old post is fine.
Perhaps a poll could help to find which limit commonly would be thought of useful?
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Dalai wrote: 2018-07-30, 12:27 UTC
Not all people are in the forum all the time (not even me ;)).
Ok, i understand that but i wonder, who on earth would come up to the forum after two weeks or even one week and edit his post? Anyway, maybe someone would do that. I admit it has happened to me in the past, but very rarely.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2wanderer
I agree that 2 weeks doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, half an hour is definitely not enough. I find it annoying in other forums that I can't even correct typos, or add some more details, after like 20 minutes after initially submitting a post (*cough* Nickles *cough*). A couple of days would be reasonable, I think; the exact number is up to Ghisler.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

As you can see, there are different request parameters in the links you have posted:
petermad wrote: 2018-07-30, 11:39 UTC https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?[b]f=6[/b]&t=33740 - this one I can NOT edit.
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?[b]p=242336 - I can edit all my own posts on that page![/b]
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?[b]t=34152[/b] and this one I can NOt edit
…And the server side grants different rights depending on these parameters. In most simplified version it works like that:
* For post request (p=242336) the server side checks if you are allowed to edit a requested post (you're an author of this post).
* For topic request (t=34152) the server side checks if you are allowed to edit a requested topic (you're a moderator).
* For forum request (f=6) the server side checks if you are allowed to edit a requested forum (you're an admin)..
In this simple case - if you're not a moderator, you can't edit any post if you haven't requested post in a link (that is, in the first and the third link). The only post request is in the second link and that's why you are allowed to edit your own posts in that topic.

Rights may be joined or inherited, or limited/restricted in other ways – it depends on forum software and its settings.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

wanderer wrote: 2018-07-30, 16:37 UTC Ok, i understand that but i wonder, who on earth would come up to the forum after two weeks or even one week and edit his post? Anyway, maybe someone would do that. I admit it has happened to me in the past, but very rarely.
The most obvious reason is to fix broken links to external resources.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2018-07-30, 13:21 UTCBtw, the old board had a timeout of 8 days to edit posts.
I remember that in the old board Editing/Deleting a post was open until someone post a reply, once someone post a reply, you cannot Edit/Delete your post. That was good in order to restrict someone from changing how the discussion flow, e.g. editing his post according to your reply which may make your reply silly or off topic.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

ts4242 wrote: 2018-07-27, 22:54 UTC There is something wrong with the styles AllanStyle-SUBSILVER and prosilver (user data: left side) on mobile device, that is individual post options (e.g. Replay with quote, Report this post, Delete post) are disabled. Can anyone confirm this?
Tested in Edge on a phone running Windows 10 and Chrome in Android phone.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is something wrong with the styles AllanStyle-SUBSILVER and prosilver (user data: left side) on mobile device, that is individual post options (e.g. Replay with quote, Report this post, Delete post) are disabled. Can anyone confirm this?
This should be fixed now.

There was an entry in the style sheet content.css for .postprofile which caused this: z-index: 2;
This showed the profile data above the buttons, and made them inaccessible. I have commented that out, and it doesn't seem to have any negative impact so far. Please let me know if it causes any problems.

Anyway, you will have to clear the cache in your browser and reload the page to make it work.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Dalai wrote: 2018-07-30, 18:25 UTC 2wanderer
I agree that 2 weeks doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, half an hour is definitely not enough. I find it annoying in other forums that I can't even correct typos, or add some more details, after like 20 minutes after initially submitting a post (*cough* Nickles *cough*). A couple of days would be reasonable, I think; the exact number is up to Ghisler
OK, that's logical. I agree.
Usher wrote: 2018-07-30, 22:39 UTCThe most obvious reason is to fix broken links to external resources.
That may be necessary even after many months, so what you are actually saying is that even 14 days is too small. I understand the need but since there is no easy way to predict what the user will change, having a large interval you leave the forum open to vandalism as Christian said.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

@wanderer
Well, to prevent spam, trolling etc. all the new forum users should be moderated with editing allowed only for 1-2 hours.
I know a case when a new user asked some lame questions and didn't like replies – so he deleted content of his own messages. It took only one or two days and it was extremely stupid, as other users quoted his posts.

On the other side:
* For inactive or unpopular topics, which aren't mentioned in other places, any limit is irrelevant.
* 14 days may be too small for users returning from holidays (32 days is OK to me), if the topic is still active.
* For active or popular topics there may be reason to edit any post, especially on the very first page of the topic, which may be veeery old. Imagine another newbie that have just started to read such a topic and wanted to correct some inaccurate info found on the first page. As a newbie he/she won't read newer posts and won't know that those inaccuracies are already corrected more than once. Yes, I know it's a job for moderators to add link to those corrections…
Andrzej P. Wozniak