Names and comments: Synergy in Rename and Multi-Rename Tool

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

totfun

Names and comments: Synergy in Rename and Multi-Rename Tool

Post by *totfun »

I'd suggest a feature in multi-rename tool: an [X] option ([C] is already in use...) where X is the eventual comment the file has. With this option a set of files can be renamed considering their own comments. In particular, "swap name with comment" could be an explicit TC command (conveniently handling the extension and filename length). This last way you could quickly pass from a kind of naming to another (for example: "Song Singer.mp3" to "Singer Song.mp3"). A sort of quickly usable double name. Moreover, (my) "renaming while playing problem" can be solved this way: you pressed Shift+F6, wrote filename and pressed enter: if file is in use, TC just comments it (comments and selects it, in quick view mode). Then, when you want and can, you swap names with comments for selected files. Another possible option: if the file has not a comment, the first time you rename it, old name can be saved as comment.
I am not a programmer. I do not know if, useful considering this feature, it is implementable. What about it, Christian?

totfun
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2totfun

your current post is very hard to read and i could'nt be bothered to read it.
i'm pretty sure a lot of the other visitors could'nt be bothered, too. :?

please learn to structure your posts (at least a little...), the reward will be
far more response from the community.

just browse this forum to get some ideas. :wink:
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

totfun wrote:You pressed Shift+F6, wrote filename and pressed enter: if file is in use, TC just comments it (comments and selects it, in quick view mode)
This way, you can rename the first file, you can even rename the second file (but I don't know why this works - we can rename some file while the other file (single) is selected? Maybe TC bug?), but you cannot rename the third file - all these three files will be renamed (it fails with overwrite prompt, of course).
totfun

Post by *totfun »

2Valentino
First of all, Thank you! I see that difficulties don't frighten you: you read my post (at least) almost up to the end...
Valentino wrote: but I don't know why this works - we can rename some file while the other file (single) is selected? Maybe TC bug?
I tried it: after a selection of more than 1 files, Shift+F6 works as F6. I did not know this, though I can imagine its logic. If I well understand, you are not surprised by this behavior but you expected it also when only 1 file is selected and the cursor is on another file. Is it right?

We can write a comment for a file with Ctrl+Z. I wish (in a future version of TC) a new behavior for Shift+F6, similar to Ctrl+Z, only if TC checks ('knows') that it can't perform the old one(s) . So, in this case, what Shift+F6 now tries to do when some files are selected can be not important.

2 reasons to do this:
1) We don't waste what we wrote if we forget that the file is in use.
2) When the file is in use, we can write the comment as we write the filename, without a new window (useful in quick view).

totfun
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2totfun

hmmm, nice formating in your last post :D
so, it's worth the work, don't you think too ?

besides, i would'nt say reading your first post beeing "difficult",
just a pain in the *** to read ;)

(my previous post was'nt ment as any offence against you...)
totfun

Post by *totfun »

2Valentino: Excuse me. I was wrong. In the case that we were analysing, Shift+F6 does not work as F6 does...It's better that I don't try to say again what Shift+F6 really does...You did it.
Did you give yourself an answer to your questions?

2deus-ex: You are right about my post. Anyway, your last post is welcome.

totfun
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

totfun wrote:Did you give yourself an answer to your questions?
Mmmmm... What questions? The one I underlined? If yes, then I still consider it as smth inconsistent. But probably Christian designed it this way intentionally somewhy.