Recently opened files under XP and 7

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AdamDevis

Recently opened files under XP and 7

Post by *AdamDevis »

Also, more than two years after switching to Windows 7 from XP, I still find new differences in behaviors that I can not explain despite Google. But maybe I just stand on the hose.

Somehow it seems to be the list of recently opened files (not programs),
So in XP: Start-> recently used documents
Win 7: Start-> Last used
to give big differences, at least as far as working from the Total Commander is concerned. And no, I'm not talking about Lister but about calling an external / associated program for a file.

XP seems to be completely cold what I open in the TC. Programs linked in Windows itself as well as the internal links introduced with version 7.50 (which I use intensively) are not entered. So if I have a .chm file with the TC open nothing is entered in "% UserProfile% \ Recent", just as if I open my linked only in the TC PDF files with the (portable) SumatraPDF. Of course, quite different if I open everything from the Windows Explorer or even get started files from the open program itself.
Unlike Windows 7. Both system-linked file types and the TC-internal links are entered. Only files from archives that are temporarily unpacked from the TC are spared.

I would understand that Microsoft has refined the behavior in Windows 7 to this effect and program starts are monitored differently / more intense. But even internal links in the TC?

In addition, there are some exceptions that somehow prevent it: e.g. Imagine and Notepad2.
I've linked all the spread image files (.jpg, .gif, .png etc.) with Imagine TC internally, text files with Notepad2. Only as mentioned nothing will be left here.
In contrast to the mentioned SumatraPDF.
In both cases, I linked identically:
"% COMMANDER_PATH% \ tools \ SumatraPDF.exe" "% 1"
"% COMMANDER_PATH% \ tools \ Imagine.exe" "% 1"
I can only guess that this is due to the different API functions. SumatraPDf is created with Visual C ++ 9.0 (Visual Studio 2008), Imagine apparently with the old Visual C ++ 6.0.

Of course, this is not a big problem. However, I find the behavior of privacy inappropriate. I work with the Total Commander actually only portable, i. from the USB stick. If I now open a file type myself TC-internally with a turn portable program, I really do not want the Windows "Mitschneidet", especially not on a remote computer where I TC. only for a short time to help and does not want to leave any traces.

The questions remain thus: Is documented somewhere (with Microsoft) why the recording takes place with Win7 so much more intensively (it lies perhaps really only at the used API functions?) And why even internal links are registered by the Commander with Win7 (although it at the temporary unpacking from archives is not the case)?

Oh, the info:
I use TC 8.01 (32bit) on both XP and Windows 7 x64.
On both operating systems I work as Admin.
[MTAG]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recently opened files under XP and 7

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

As I understand it, "Recently opened" is an Explorer function, it records what you open in Explorer. TC doesn't explicitly call any functions to add files to "Recently opened", but it's possible that some Windows functions do this by themselves when called.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

This is a (auto) translation of my age old German post
viewtopic.php?t=35994

I just don't understand the purpose of programming such bots, i.e. automatically picking a post, translating it and reposting it under a newly registered different user. Quite annoying.
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2milo1012
That's really strange, it doesn't look like the usual spambot - the use profile doesn't contain any links to spam sites.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

It was just a spam test. In many cases new users are moderated, so spammers first send some copy-pasted/translated text or a few simple replies like "You are right, it's a very useful feature" to prevent immediate banning. That's why it's not enough to moderate only the very first posting.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator