custom color display lost after redirecting sections of the ini to a different file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tc99

custom color display lost after redirecting sections of the ini to a different file

Post by *tc99 »

I redirected several sections of the ini file to a different file, but after total commander restarted, it lost its ability to display custom colors (defined by file extensions).

the redirected sections are:
left
right
command line history
dir menu
mkdirhistory
searchtext
lefttabs
righttabs
righthistory
lefthistory

is it because some of the redirected sections are not allowed?

thanks,

joe
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: custom color display lost after redirecting sections of the ini to a different file

Post by *Usher »

How did you redirect a part of wincmd.ini file?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: custom color display lost after redirecting sections of the ini to a different file

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you used AlternateUserIni=name.ini in [Configuration], then most sections including [Colors] will be redirected to that file "name.ini". If you want to redirect am individual section, use
RedirectSection=name.ini
in that section. If you want to prevent a section from being redirected while using AlternateUserIni, then add the line
RedirectSection=0
to that section.

Example: Redirect most sections, but not [Colors]:

[Configuration]
AlternateUserIni=name.ini
[Colors]
RedirectSection=0
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
Thanks for explanation. I somehow omitted those settings in the help file.

One question:
What about sections [packerplugins64], [ContentPlugins64], [FileSystemPlugins64], [ListerPlugins64] for 64-bit plugins? I suppose that by default they stay in main ini like other sections for plugins, right?

And one suggestion:
Maybe you should divide current "Settings in the file wincmd.ini - Part 2" into 2 smaller parts like that:

* Settings in the file wincmd.ini - Part 2 (settings redirected automatically)
* Settings in the file wincmd.ini - Part 3 (settings redirected individually)

Or at least reorder part 2 to separate "global" and "user-changeable" sections?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
tc99

Post by *tc99 »

i did not use the 'AlternateUserIni=' option under [configuration].

i used the "RedirectSection=redirected.ini" for each of the redirected sections. all of them were redirected to the same ini file.

my goal is to copy the wincmd.ini on different pcs, but without the personal stuff. but the problem is the custom colors were not displaying anymore. for example, i configured the .txt files to be pink color and they show the default black color.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

2tc99
I'm using a very similar redirection (except dirmenu) for privacy reason (easy to cleanup the redirected history.ini) and this works here without any problems.
1. you should control that the correct windcmd.ini is used after you have copied the wincmd.ini to a different PC (see Help->About Total commander)
2. Is the checkbox in front of Configuration->Options..->Color: "define colors by filetype" activated?
3. Any chance that one search-filter with color black is in the list above your "*.txt"->pink filter? (e.g. i'm using a filter "*.*"->black which can be placed in the list above some of other filters to disable the filters below)?

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
tc99

Post by *tc99 »

thanks for the tip.

i checked the color settings, the "define colors by filetype" was checked. however, when i checked the actual definitions of each color type, their definitions were missing. i then redefined them and the colors came back.

the color types are defined under the section [searches], which was redirected to the separate file. i think i might have cleared that section at one point and hence all color definitions were lost, except the names which were stored under the section [colors].

anyway, thanks for all the helps!

Joe