Anomaly creating/deleting directory with HD > 128GB

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

jb wrote:To Lefteous:
Sorry, I did not want to respond to you, but I missed that the previous posts are quite old. :oops:
no problem - i searched the forum and found this topic. I didn't want to start a new topic. Has someone experiences with IAA 3.5, large hdds and TC?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I made some investigestions:

I took a deeper look on Windows Explorer: It uses CreateDirectoryW and RemoveDirectoryW. But there are several calls before and after the creation and removing functions.

My delay isn't 3 or 4 seconds, but it's takes definitely much longer than on any other machine (with small hdds) and compared to explorer.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, what other calls? CreateDirectoryW should not make any difference to CreateDirectoryA, because CreateDirectoryA is redirected to CreateDirectoryW anyway on NT/2000/XP (because all its low level functions are Unicode).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Many other functions! Too many to post here! Only few of them may be relevant on creating/deleting directories.

Maybe TC doesn't hang while calling Create/RemoveDirectory but in while listing the changed directory content (FindFirst/NextFile). I don't know it's just an idea.

I used the freeware program API monitor to get this information.
Maybe it can help you to find the differences between TC and Explorer.

http://www.rohitab.com/apimonitor/apimonitor.zip
AlleyKat

Post by *AlleyKat »

I may be totally wrong here, but several 'weird issues' with my XP was solved last december by installing the patch Q306676. This patch should be in SP1 but in my experience it isn't always...

I know that it doesn't sound related - but it really fixed a few weird things for me. Worth a try? :)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

As I mentioned in an earlier posting all patches are installed.
Sam York

Post by *Sam York »

is your hdd on a SATA interface?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

jo
Sam York

Post by *Sam York »

Lefteous wrote:jo
jo? Ok, I'm taking these as an yes ...

You seem not to be the only one with SATA inteface that has the same problem ... A friend of mine has the latest hdd for SATA 300 Gb and has same problem ... I'll buy soon one but until now the biggest one is only 300 Gb so I think I'll wait for a little while ...

But do you think the problem should come from here? Is xp pro again left behind with the "technological rush"?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Sam York wrote:
Lefteous wrote:jo
jo? Ok, I'm taking these as an yes ...

You seem not to be the only one with SATA inteface that has the same problem ... A friend of mine has the latest hdd for SATA 300 Gb and has same problem ... I'll buy soon one but until now the biggest one is only 300 Gb so I think I'll wait for a little while ...

But do you think the problem should come from here? Is xp pro again left behind with the "technological rush"?
I don't know, but I dont think so. I works fine in Windows Explorer on the same system as already mentioned.