Misleading Error Message: "remove write protection" on copy 4GB to FAT32

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fey0168@gmail.com

Misleading Error Message: "remove write protection" on copy 4GB to FAT32

Post by *fey0168@gmail.com »

While transferring large files (> 4GB) between my tower and laptop using a USB drive I ran into this error message.
"Please remove the write protection!"

Stumped me for awhile, but the problem is really that I was trying to move a >4GB file onto a FAT32 formatted 32GB USB drive. DUH.
Switched the USB to NTFS and it obviously worked fine.

It would be nice if the error message would have been more germane to the real problem and not so misleading.
But I imagine that it is thanks to the Windows error messaging codes and nothing can be done.

Obviously not a problem with the program, but with the user.

Cheers, Fred
wangyiqiang

Re: Misleading Error Message: "remove write protection" on copy 4GB to FAT32

Post by *wangyiqiang »

Because the FAT32 partition can only support single file under 4GB, when you try to transfer large files to FAT32 drive, you need to convert it to NTFS or exFAT first of all. As for the write protection issue, you can clear read only via Diskpart service:
Step 1. Open cmd and start Diskpart service: Press “Win+R” button at the same time and type in “cmd”, press Enter. And in the cmd window, type “diskpart” and press Enter.

Step 2. Type “list disk” and press Enter: to get specific information about every disk on your Windows computer.

Step 3. Type “select disk #” and press Enter: # is your drive number (0,1,2,3...),.

Step 4. Type “attributes disk clear readonly” and press Enter: to remove the write protection on the drive.
Besides, you can also use a third party software ...

[MTAG]