plugin API help files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jadaml

plugin API help files

Post by *jadaml »

Hi there!

:?: Does anyone have a TXT/RTF/PDF/ODT/LaTex/CHM/ptinted/casette-tape/non-propriatary version of the lister plugin help files?

Since Microsoft announced that they will not support *.HLP files, Total Commander's help file have been converted to the *.CHM format, but not the files describing how to create plug-ins for TC.
Since Microsoft succesfuly castrated it's old-school help file reader (winhlp32.exe) from Windows 10, these files are ridiculously difficult to open on the system. :x Tools exists to open these files but couldn't find any that is free (freedom preferred over beer), there exists with 30 day trial, but I do not wish to go on a 1-month vacation just to fully utilize any present and future need for reading HLP files, :roll: and while many company ask money for their development tools for a given platform I do not see how Ghisler would benefit from me paying a 3rd party (4th if counting the OS as well) to allow me read HLP files for a bit longer, especially since Ghisler provided these HLP files for free. :?
On a final note, yes, I could patch my own Windows 10 to support winhlp32.exe, but Microsoft is free to replace their files with every update reverting any changes I make on the file, not to mention that MS is currently in an experimental stage where with every update for Win10 they practically flip the bird to the user anyway.

:idea: This makes me feel that an update may be needed to these files to say the least. Is that possible?
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: plugin API help files

Post by *HolgerK »

Make our planet great again
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: plugin API help files

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi,

there is no problem in opening HLP files.
I always wondering why people are interesting in writing plugins but are not able to open a HLPs.
But in the meantime there are CHMs too >> viewtopic.php?p=350187#p350187