In-place rename cancelled by mousewheel

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

j7n

In-place rename cancelled by mousewheel

Post by *j7n »

If I invoke a normal file rename within a panel (Shift-F6 / F2) and then accidentally roll the mouse wheel while grabbing or shoving the mouse aside, the rename is cancelled and input is lost. Windows Explorer also behaves this way. But this does not seem to be very useful to use the wheel as a cancel button, when I can either press Esc or click onto another file or blank area. Is it possible to make the mouse wheel not have any effect in this context?
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: In-place rename cancelled by mousewheel

Post by *Usher »

In-place rename is cancelled by almost all actions changing the state of the active panel so mouse wheel scrolling is not an exception. In the case of scrolling it's better to cancel edition than let scroll edited line out of your sight (you can accidentally delete the filename in such cases).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

In the case of scrolling it's better to cancel edition than let scroll edited line out of your sight (you can accidentally delete the filename in such cases)
I agree on that
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
j7n

Post by *j7n »

I see. Maybe I should replace the mouse, which has a loose wheel. But I can't imagine scrolling so much that the textbox goes offscreen, when it is usually one step or three lines.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2j7n
Open a folder with many subfolders (more than one page) and go PageDown. Press Enter to open subfolder, then press Enter again to go out. Now see the cursor place on the list - it's on the 4th position from bottom. Guess why?
Now use quick search with keyboard. Your search target is at the top. Guess why?

In most cases people do some search which leads to manipulations with objects in first or last 3 visible lines. And If the target object is unvisible, in most cases it's in 1-3 lines up or down - out of the window.

You won't win with Murphy's laws. What is more, you should know that Murphy was an optimist…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator