file missing in one of the synchronizing panes

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Atlantico

file missing in one of the synchronizing panes

Post by *Atlantico »

I am a newby in TC

Some files appear with a ? in between (not the case of the above folders). What is this?

How do I select multiple X to be ->, instead of doing one by one
I will have about 200000 files to synchronize.

Thanks in advance
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: file missing in one of the synchronizing panes

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi Atlantico,

the '?' may indicate a sign your used font is not able to show (missing Glyph)
But I think others may have a better explanation for this. >> EDIT: see Hackers' Post right below <<

Select by holding left mouse-button and moving, or by holding down Ctrl or Shift-key and use mouse left clicking.
Then you may want to press the F1-button in that dialog:
Help wrote:The copy direction can be chosen for multiple files at the same time with the right click menu.
Furthermore, the right click menu allows to display, delete or even compare individual files
by content (can also be opened via double click).
See >> https://www.ghisler.com/screenshots/en/08.html

HTH?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Atlantico,
Some files appear with a ? in between (not the case of the above folders). What is this
TC Help wrote:"?" Only appears when comparing by contents, before the file pair has actually been compared.
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Aha!, thanks Roman. The question mark is only present as a picture in help, so my search didn't find anything.

Atlantico

Post by *Atlantico »

Thank you for your replies and patience .
Another question please:
In the Synchronize Directories pane 5 options are available: Asymmetric/Subdirs/by content/ignore date.

If I only check the subdirs option and leave the others 4 options unchecked , what is the applied file compare criteria?

Thanks again
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Atlantico wrote: 2019-04-12, 23:16 UTC Thank you for your replies and patience .
Another question please:
In the Synchronize Directories pane 5 options are available: Asymmetric/Subdirs/by content/ignore date.

If I only check the subdirs option and leave the others 4 options unchecked , what is the applied file compare criteria?

Thanks again
A detailed answer is in the help file
Only selected (in main window)
Only compares the directories and files, which are selected in Total Commander before invoking this function. It is sufficient to only select the directories/files in one window.
If you save this option, you will be asked for the name of a list file where the selected file names should be stored. When loading these settings, the name of the list file will be shown in place of the text '(in main window)'.

Empty directories
Also synchronize empty directories, not just files:
1. In normal (symmetric) mode, directories missing on one side will be copied from the other side.
2. In asymmetric mode, directories missing on the left side will be deleted on the right side, and directories missing on the right will be copied from the left side.

Asymmetric
If this option is checked, it is assumed that a copy of the left side should be created on the right side. Files which do not exist on the left side will be marked for deletion on the right side. This option is meant for backups. Do NOT use this option to synchronize a desktop and notebook!

Subdirs
Also compares the subdirectories of the two chosen directories. A modification of this option makes a new comparison necessary.

by content
Compares the content of files which have the same size and date. It checks that the files also have the same content. A modification of this option makes a new comparison necessary.
Compare by content via FTP is supported only when the server supports one of the following commands (and announces this via FEAT command): XCRC, XMD5, MD5, XSHA1. Total Commander then calculates the same checksum type locally as the server returns, and then compares the two.
When comparing two files from the file system (not from FTP or archives) a button is shown which allows to choose content plugins for comparison:
[++] The plugin compare mode is activated
[>>] The plugin compare mode is inactive but can be used
The internal compare mode [=tc.compare as text] compares two files as plain text like in "Compare by content". Different types of line breaks (Windows, Unix, MacOS) will be ignored.

ignore date
If this option is selected, files with same size and name are considered identical. If additionally the option "by content" is selected, files with the same size are also compared by content. The result of such a comparison only yields to the result 'equal' or 'not equal' - the copy direction needs to be set by the user. A modification of this option makes a new comparison necessary.
Atlantico

Post by *Atlantico »

Thank You.
So, as far as I understand If I only check the subdirs option and leave the others 4 options unchecked, the compare function will consider two files identical if they have the same name, date and size, right?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Atlantico wrote: 2019-04-13, 00:38 UTC[...] If I only check the subdirs option and leave the others 4 options unchecked, the compare function will consider two files identical if they have the same name, date and size, right?
Correct.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Atlantico

Post by *Atlantico »

Thank You Dalai
Atlantico

Post by *Atlantico »

Till now I have used TC to synchronize about 2TB of data beween an external USB drive three desktops.
I am a bit confused about this . If I only check the subdirs option and leave the others 4 options unchecked, the compare function will consider two files identical if they have the same name, date and size, so the compare process will be faster since comparing contents AFAIK is the most reliable compare tool, but also the one that takes more time.

So, after this compare operation, when I hit Synchronize there is this option "Verity" that I always check. What verification is being actualy performed here? Via checksum? And why is it that after the Synchronization process, it looks like the system proceeds to compare the synchronized files, which I had assumed that was done during the Synchronization process as long as the "Verify" was selected ?

Best Regards
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Atlantico wrote: 2019-04-16, 01:35 UTCWhat verification is being actualy performed here?
It's verified whether or not the files have been copied correctly from the source to the destination. It's the exact same verification available for normal copy/move operations (F5/F6).
Via checksum?
The file contents are compared. Does it matter how exactly this is done?
And why is it that after the Synchronization process, it looks like the system proceeds to compare the synchronized files
Because TC does a second comparison after doing the synchronization. Why? Because there could have been files added/removed/changed in the meantime.
which I had assumed that was done during the Synchronization process as long as the "Verify" was selected ?
No, this doesn't have anything to do with the verification.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Atlantico

Post by *Atlantico »

Dalai wrote: 2019-04-16, 02:15 UTC
Atlantico wrote: 2019-04-16, 01:35 UTCWhat verification is being actualy performed here?
It's verified whether or not the files have been copied correctly from the source to the destination. It's the exact same verification available for normal copy/move operations (F5/F6).
Via checksum?
The file contents are compared. Does it matter how exactly this is done?
Matters, since checksum verification is faster (although not as fail proof as contents verification). And if you are synchronizing several Tera Bytes worth of data, that could be an important time-saving factor.
And why is it that after the Synchronization process, it looks like the system proceeds to compare the synchronized files
Because TC does a second comparison after doing the synchronization. Why? Because there could have been files added/removed/changed in the meantime.
which I had assumed that was done during the Synchronization process as long as the "Verify" was selected ?
No, this doesn't have anything to do with the verification.

Regards
Dalai
[/quote]

So, please, if I select "verify" in the synchronization popup window, what exactly does that impact the synchronization process?
Thanks
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Atlantico wrote: 2019-04-16, 14:37 UTCMatters, since checksum verification is faster (although not as fail proof as contents verification). And if you are synchronizing several Tera Bytes worth of data, that could be an important time-saving factor.
Huh? You are aware that, to create a checksum of a file, the file contents have to be read in full, aren't you? Where do you see any speed/time saving when using checksums? OK, there is, if source and destination file are on the sam (physical) disk, and reading them at the same time is a bad thing, for time and the disk. But other than that?
So, please, if I select "verify" in the synchronization popup window, what exactly does that impact the synchronization process?
As I already said: It's the same exact verification as in the regular copy/move operations. See TC help for details.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence