BUG: try to Cut-Paste a file onto itself, press ESC twice -> TotalCmd exits

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pjotrb

BUG: try to Cut-Paste a file onto itself, press ESC twice -> TotalCmd exits

Post by *pjotrb »

Using TotalCmd (x64) 9.22a

I accidentally tried to Cut a file (Ctrl-X) and then Paste it onto itself (Ctrl-V).
Obviously that doesn't make sense, and TotalCmd warns "The source and destination file names are the same." with 'Skip' and 'Cancel' buttons.

If you then press Esc once, all is fine: 'Cancel' is activated and the operation stops.

But if you press Esc twice, with a short delay in between (like 0.2-0.4 sec), then TotalCmd exits about two seconds later, and just before that happens a popup is shown very briefly. It looks like the 'Cancel' operation from the first Esc gets cancelled by the second Esc, in such a way that it causes TotalCmd to terminate or crash.

Using a screen recorder I managed to screenshot the very brief popup.
The caption is: "This will cancel all transfers in progress."
And text inside: "Are you sure you want to cancel all transfers?" with 'Yes' and 'No' buttons.

I hope this can be fixed. It is 100% reproducible on my side, if you get the timing right (doing the double Esc too fast or too slow = it won't happen).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BUG: try to Cut-Paste a file onto itself, press ESC twice -> TotalCmd exits

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, I can reproduce it with the 64-bit version, but not with the 32-bit version. I will try to find the reason. That dialog isn't part of Total Commander, so it may be difficult...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: BUG: try to Cut-Paste a file onto itself, press ESC twice -> TotalCmd exits

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-04-29, 13:54 UTC Thanks, I can reproduce it with the 64-bit version, but not with the 32-bit version.
I also can't reproduce it on 32-bit right now using steps described by pjotrb, but it's possible that it may appear on 32-bit TC using different reproduce steps. I had TC 32-bit crash which also happened involving cut and paste actions, my old report is here: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47525
(that crash was unexpected, so I can't tell exact steps to reproduce it)
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708