Custom flags on files/folders

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rykari

Custom flags on files/folders

Post by *Rykari »

Hi folks

I've done a lot of searching for any potential plugins that can achieve this but couldn't find much. I was hoping that someone on here might have some suggestions so here goes:

Is it possible to add custom flags to files or folders so that I can filter folders with lots of files?

Let's say I have 1000 movies and I go through and set custom flags for genres of each file, I could then have TC filter all 'Action' movies. In this sense It would be similar to using CTRL + S only I don't want to have to rename files or folders as it would also be nice to be able to extend this. For example If I wanted to filter all Action AND Comedy. or if I wanted to filter all Action OR Sci-Fi etc.

Can TC do this as is? Else is there a plugin that can do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice / help offered
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Custom flags on files/folders

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome Rykari!

You could use TCs comment system for such tasks...

FAQs: File comments descript.ion (descriptions Ctrl+Z)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52534&p=355053

Any question? Just asks.

Rykari

Post by *Rykari »

That was perfect advice, Thanks.

I simply installed QuickSearch eXtended, from there I used its content plugins feature with File Descriptions "Long Descriptions" field and set the group to 2. Now if I want to search for a comment I just /genre. What's more I can add as many fields as I like to the comments and should I wish to include more I can do so with RegEx, similarity search or srch.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to include an ignore case. So if I wanted action OR adventure NOT comedy. I can do it with regex, ie ^((?!comedy).)*$ but the tool isn't sophisticated enough to allow me to create an operator.. It'd be a pain to have to wrap flags in that every time by hand :/

I tried replace in QS eX but it didn't work
patxiku

Post by *patxiku »

2Rykari

Try with exclamation mark "!" for NOT and pipe sign "|" for OR. In your example for QuickSearch eXtended you must use action|adventure!comedy.

The QuickSearch eXtended help file says:

Code: Select all

Search for:  “cat dog” 
Find:    A dog and a cat moved to china.txt 
         CaTs and dOgs.avi 
         bulldog catalysator.doc 

Search for:  “cat music|dog fun” 
Find:    Musical cats.pdf 
         funny Dog.avi 

Search for:  “!.pdf” 
Find:    cat.bmp 
Find not:  dog.pdf
Patxiku
User since 1998. #122717 license (2005)
Rykari

Post by *Rykari »

Yes, they'd probably work for file names but this doesn't work for comments or tags. Additionally that only applies for simple search I believe