thumbnails of shortcut (.lnk) files dont show once the target video of the .lnk file gets moved

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

asdfgh9

thumbnails of shortcut (.lnk) files dont show once the target video of the .lnk file gets moved

Post by *asdfgh9 »

when i create a regular windows .lnk shortcut to a video, tc will show the original video's thumbnail on this .lnk file fine,
but when i move the actual video that the shortcut is linking to, tc wont resolve the thumbnail on the .lnk file anymore until i manually play the video via this .lnk first (which updates the paths inside the .lnk file i assume via some windows methods perhaps unrelated to tc)
however, is it possible to make tc or windows to automatically force this pathlinking update of broken .lnks in the whole folder when we enter it?
i guess this might be more of a general windows thing, however i didnt manage to find anything about how to autoupdate/resolve broken shortcuts
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: thumbnails of shortcut (.lnk) files dont show once the target video of the .lnk file gets moved

Post by *sqa_wizard »

TC cannot resolve a broken link by itself, therefore the thumbnail is lost.
If you try to play the shortcut, you will see a message, that the link is broken and Windows (not TC) may guess where the file is located now.
Often this guess is correct and the shortcut is updated accordingly.
After this update the thumbnail of the file at new location is shown at TC again.
i guess this might be more of a general windows thing, however i didnt manage to find anything about how to autoupdate/resolve broken shortcuts
Yes, you are right the (automatic) resolving of a broken link is done by Windows exclusive. But nevertheless it is still a "best guess", which may fail sometimes.
#5767 Personal license