How to update Total Commander on a USB-drive

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kodepr

How to update Total Commander on a USB-drive

Post by *kodepr »

Hello,

I've been using Total Commander from a usb-drive for years and have been very happy with this great software.

When installing it years ago, I first installed Total Commander on a laptop, and then used the tc2usb tool to put the software on a usb-drive.
I would now like to update Total Commander (on the usb-drive) to the latest version of the software. What is the best way to update such a "portable" version on a usb-drive? Preferrably, I would like to update the "portable" version of the software without using the original pc it was installed with and of course, the license should not become invalid.

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.
I'm currently using Total Commander Version 10.00 64bit
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to update Total Commander on a USB-drive

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can either
1. Copy all files except for all .bar, .key and .ini files from a PC installallation to the stick, or
2. Run the installer and simply indicate the stick as the target (normal install). Make sure NOT to create desktop and start menu icons!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to update Total Commander on a USB-drive

Post by *petermad »

3. Or you can press Ctrl+PgDn on the installer file (for example tcmd922ax64.exe)
- Go into the install.cab folder
- Copy all files exept the "default.bar" file to your TC folder on the USB-drive
- Copy the content of the "e" folder to your TC folder on the USB-drive (or from the "d" folder if you want German help)
- Copy the desired language files from the "Language" folder to the "Language" folder on the USB-drive
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar