A few questions on configuration

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

goodwinds

A few questions on configuration

Post by *goodwinds »

Hello to everyone, I've just purchased TC as a new user. I'm moving away from Altap Salamander that I've been using every day in the last 18 years because is now a dead project. I would like to configure TC with the features I was accustomed to in AS; I've searched this forum, official documentations. There are a few things that I wasn't able to find or are not possible (?). So I'd like to ask for your help.

Here are the questions:

1. Can I see file names in TC panes with file name + extension instead of separated columns?
2. In AS I made heavy use of Hot Paths; I was able to add a shortcut to a folder and go directly to it. For example CTRL+4 -> C:\Sources\Workdir. In TC I'm trying to use Directory Hotlist but I cannot use shortcuts to go to folders. Is there a way to do this?
3. In AS I made heavy use of a toolbar where I could add icons to launch all my favorite apps (like a custom start menu). Is there a way to do this in TC?
4. In AS, in the left or right pane, I was able to go to a file or directory in the current folder just by writing its first letters. Is there a way to do this in TC?

Thank you for your help and time.
NotNull

Re: A few questions on configuration

Post by *NotNull »

I'm new to Total Commander too, so there might be better solutions that these:
goodwinds wrote: 2019-12-07, 11:12 UTC 1. Can I see file names in TC panes with file name + extension instead of separated columns?
In the configuration dialog (Menu:Configuration > Options ) :
Tabstops > Show file extensions = directly after filename

In AS I made heavy use of Hot Paths; I was able to add a shortcut to a folder and go directly to it. For example CTRL+4 -> C:\Sources\Workdir. In TC I'm trying to use Directory Hotlist but I cannot use shortcuts to go to folders. Is there a way to do this?
No idea; I guess this would be possible somehow (it's a too normal option).
You could name your folders like &1 - first folder, so that CTRL-D , 1 brings you to "C:\first folder"

3. In AS I made heavy use of a toolbar where I could add icons to launch all my favorite apps (like a custom start menu). Is there a way to do this in TC?

Just drag the executable to the one of the button bars. Right-click the button to change options

4. In AS, in the left or right pane, I was able to go to a file or directory in the current folder just by writing its first letters. Is there a way to do this in TC?
In the configuration dialog, go to Quick Search and select "letters only" (or one of the other options that match your taste)
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: A few questions on configuration

Post by *tuska »

goodwinds wrote:2. In AS I made heavy use of Hot Paths; I was able to add a shortcut to a folder and go directly to it.
    For example CTRL+4 -> C:\Sources\Workdir.
    In TC I'm trying to use Directory Hotlist but I cannot use shortcuts to go to folders. Is there a way to do this?
This can be done, for example, as follows:
- Type in cm_CommandBrowser into the TC command line, <enter>
- Left under "Category" ... Click on the entry: usercmd.ini
- Click on the "New..." button
- enter a name for the command, e.g. em_GoToWorkdir (the name may not have any spaces), then click "OK"
- Command: Type in cd "C:\Sources\Workdir", "OK", "OK"
DONE - the command was created.

Assign a shortcut to the command as follows:
Before assigning a shortcut you should get an overview, which already exists, namely
- via menu "Help" - "Keyboard"
- via file "KEYBOARD.TXT" (which is located in the same folder, e.g. as file TOTALCMD.EXE)

Menu "Configuration" - "Options..." - "Misc." - Redefine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping)
- Select a key combination, e.g. Ctrl+4
- In "Command", click on the magnifying glass on the right
- Left under "Category" ... Click on the entry: usercmd.ini
- select the saved entry: em_GoToWorkdir, then click on "OK"
- IMPORTANT: Now click on the green check mark for "Save", then click on "OK"
From now on the path can be called with CTRL+4.

Additional Info:
The em_command, in this case em_GoToWorkdir could also be used e.g. with a button or in a View mode.
Alternatively, you could simply make these entries, because there the entries are stored:

usercmd.ini

Code: Select all

[em_GoToWorkdir]
button=
cmd=cd "C:\Sources\Workdir"
wincmd.ini

Code: Select all

[Shortcuts]
C+4=em_GoToWorkdir

EDIT:
Concerning CTRL+D Open directory hotlist ('bookmarks') there is an interesting info here.