Viewer with "FileInfo plugin v2.23" pops "Address of MappedFile > 4gb"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Csimbi

Viewer with "FileInfo plugin v2.23" pops "Address of MappedFile > 4gb"

Post by *Csimbi »

Hello,
I am using TC 9.22a x64 and FileInfo plugin 2.23.

When I press F3 to open viewer over a specific file, I get a popup with the message "Address of MappedFile > 4gb".
The title of the box says FILEINFO_WLX (yes, all caps).
There is nothing else in the box, just that message.

The file's name is 00__wreckfest__
To make it clear: it has no file extension.
The size of 00__wreckfest__ is <4GB (3765764096 bytes to be precise) although the 4GB limit should not matter as I am using x64 TC.
It is part of the PC game "Wreckfest".

Any ideas whether it's a bug, or something on my side?
Thank you!
Best regards: Csimbi
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Viewer pops "Address of MappedFile > 4gb"

Post by *Usher »

It looks like a problem with FileInfo plugin and max exe size supported in Windows (which IS 4 GiB - 1 B).
However, error message is not about max exe size, it's about file location mapped on memory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory-mapped_I/O
Probably the plugin tries to map the whole file and it doesn't fit into the 4 GiB page or process space in user address space, because there are already other data there. Or maybe the plugin tries to unpack the file…

Whatever it is, you should exclude FileInfo plugin from loading for such files.
Last edited by Usher on 2020-01-29, 13:57 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Usher
Are you sure there's only 4 GiB of user address space available for 64-bit programs on a 64-bit OS when 32-bit programs on a 64-bit OS are already allowed to use up to 4 GiB? AFAIK 64-bit programs can use as many memory as the OS can provide (i.e. available memory minus some space for the OS itself). I'm not sure if this might be different for DLLs (FileInfo plugin in this case) though.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

The user space may be larger, but it is divided in pages and limited per process. See edited message. And I'm not sure, just guessing - there may be also different default settings for different compiler versions (plus installed toolkits).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Csimbi

Post by *Csimbi »

Hi guys,
thing is, the file is far less than 4GBs - precisely the reason why I posted its size: 3765764096 - which is about 3.5GBs.
And even if its >4GB, it has an x64 version, so I doubt it's about file size.

All right. Is the conclusion that it's a problem with the plugin and not TC?
I'd need to contact the author then.
Thanks!
Best regards: Csimbi
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Csimbi
It's NOT about file size. The plugin - at least I guess it's the plugin - complains that the memory mapping address is beyond 4 GiB. File size doesn't matter at all here because even small files (of a few MiB) could be mapped beyond 4 GiB in memory. Normally this shouldn't be a problem*. So, why it does this, and if it really is the plugin and not TC, I have no idea. However, the plugin author should be able to at least tell you if this message comes from the plugin.

*) It shouldn't be a problem because I still think that x64 programs can use as much memory as is available, otherwise TC x64 wouldn't be able to compare huge files of several GiB by contents.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
glipman

Post by *glipman »

I can confirm that the size of the file does not really matter: I got the same message today with a 'small' 73MB text file (extension .log)

Closing and restarting Total Commander (the latest version 9.50) solved the problem.