Built-in Editor

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Gregory

Built-in Editor

Post by *Gregory »

There are several lister plugins that allow file editing. So I think time has come to include built-in editor in TC. I know that Christian hasn't done that yet because different people need different editors. But IMHO built-in editor has to be simple text editor (like Notepad) and its main purpose will be just to provide a base for editor plugins where advanced features will be realized.
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

I disagree. As you said, there are lister-plugins for this, and I think it should be kept that way. In addition, you've always got notepad, or the notepad-like metapad @ http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/ (site is unfortunately currently down, but you can probably find metapad by googling).

I think that what you're wishing for is almost like another software, and I'm sure we all want Christian to work on the file-manager part of TC ;)
license #76904
Gregory

Post by *Gregory »

TucknDar wrote:I'm sure we all want Christian to work on the file-manager part of TC ;)
Yes, certainly. I only wish that there will be separate place for plugins that support file editing in TC.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

And what would be the benefit of these plugins compared to standalone programs?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Gregory

Post by *Gregory »

Hacker wrote:And what would be the benefit of these plugins compared to standalone programs?
What do you mean? There's already such plugins. If people write them maybe they think such plugins is useful for someone. But I don't want these plugins to be mixed with usual lister plugins.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I mean, "what can be done with a plugin that cannot be done with a standalone application" or "why program something that can only be used from within TC if it can be standalone with almost the same amount of work"?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Gregory

Post by *Gregory »

Hacker wrote: "what can be done with a plugin that cannot be done with a standalone application"
Nothing, but if there are editor plugins (hpg_ed, iniview) there should be separate section for them.
Hacker wrote:"why program something that can only be used from within TC if it can be standalone with almost the same amount of work"?
You'd better ask plugin writers about that.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

The EDIT function of a plugin only makes sense (IMO) by using along with the Quickview mode.
There you have the filelist at one window and can parse through all interesting files, just a click away from the edit window
You are not forced to load all files into the editor, missing the most interesting file :)
#5767 Personal license