What is the benefit of using the TC Command line box?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bogordo

What is the benefit of using the TC Command line box?

Post by *bogordo »

Hi,

I have been using TC for a while and have some custom user commands and shortcuts running from Command line, apart from that use am i missing some other useful ways of using the command line???

Is there some tutorial or step by step in "power" using the CL?

Thank you,
TC license #346559
bobputnam

Re: Benefits of using Command line

Post by *bobputnam »

I use the command line to run batch files that aggregate complex (mostly backup) tasks. I also use it to collect new files into a folder that I FTP to a web site via TC. Most of that is done with robocopy or xxcopy (proprietary) scripts.
Bob P
3-User License 71012
bogordo

Post by *bogordo »

Well, thanks for your tips, but this for me is stuff from other universe :shock:
TC license #346559
obeg

Post by *obeg »

I'm a keyboard guy and don't like to switch to the mouse too much.
So I tend to use the commandline for two things.
cmd + Enter to open a commandline in the current directory.
and ctrl+p to write the current path to the commandline and then ctrl+a and ctrl+x to get it into the clipboard.

br
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

obeg wrote: 2020-02-19, 07:45 UTC I'm a keyboard guy ...
ctrl+p to write the current path to the commandline and then ctrl+a and ctrl+x to get it into the clipboard.
You can shorten this if you want by redefining a shortcut for this command:

Code: Select all

cm_CopySrcPathToClip	2029	Copy source path to clipboard
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

I use the command-line a lot (PowerShell/CMD), so this should come in handy.
However, the implementation is terrible.

First of all: documentation is incorrect:
In the Command line: keys topic it says:
ENTER
The command line is executed, if it contains at least one character (otherwise, the program under the cursor in the source window is started). If the command is cd, md or rd, it is executed internally. If it is an internal DOS command, DOS will be executed with this command. Otherwise, a program with the given name is executed.

SHIFT-ENTER
Similar to ENTER, but via Windows shell. After the called DOS program is terminated, its window is not automatically closed. This will only work if the file noclose.exe is in the Total Commander directory.
Apart from the fact that there is no DOS in operating systems from this millennium, it should be the other way around:
SHIFT+ENTER passes the command to CMD; ENTER passes the command to the shell (= Explorer).

Furthermore, it is extremely sensitive to where your focus is.Or even: was.
CTRL+T is used to delete the previous word, but you can't delete multiple words. First you have to manually remove the spcae character that separate these words. CTRL+BACKSPACE does a better job, but that is undocumented.

If your focus is not in the command-line (you have to click it first), CTRL+T will open a new tab.
But if you are on the command-line, what happens when you press CTRL+ENTER is a gamble. Even after switching to one of the panels. Sometimes it brings up a previous command that you entered before and that matches the partly one that in under the cursor (command completion), sometimes a filename is added to the command-line, sometimes no filename is added to the command-line at all.

To name a few annoyances (after 15 minutes of testing..)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If your focus is not in the command-line (you have to click it first)
You can press Shift+RightArrow or Shift+LeftArrow to go to the Comand-line. If you are not in Brief View or in a Custom Columns View with a horizontal scroll-bar, you can just press LeftArrow or RightArrow.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

petermad wrote: 2020-02-19, 21:52 UTC You can press Shift+RightArrow or Shift+LeftArrow to go to the Comand-line. If you are not in Brief View or in a Custom Columns View with a horizontal scroll-bar, you can just press LeftArrow or RightArrow.
That is helpful. Thanks!
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

Combine this with .bat files (or other tools) in a directory which is in the path. I use c:\tools. Then you have your tools available in every directory.