Can't access \\Network (WORKGROUP)\Entire Network

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wgp

Can't access \\Network (WORKGROUP)\Entire Network

Post by *wgp »

First, I am very grateful to this forum for answering the sftp issue for me! But here's a problem I can't find already answered so I have to ask:

I have 8 computers on my private work network, some Windows 10, some Windows 7, some connected via Ethernet, some by WiFi.

One of the computers (Windows 7, Ethernet) is able to see all the other computers and in Total Coommander I am able to drill down by clicking on Network (WORKGROUP), then Entire Network, and then see a list of all the computers on the network without seeing the wireless printers, firestick, etc.

On all the other computers when I click on Network (WORKGROUP) there's a delay of about 10 seconds, then I see a blank page with Entire Network at the top. When I click on Entire Network there's another 10-second pause then a completely blank page appears.

My main problem is not being able to see all the computers but I thought maybe the network behavior in Total Commander might be a clue. The wireless computers are the ones I can't see. I've checked and double-checked all the network and firewall settings I can think of and they appear to be the same on all the machines.

I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Can't access \\Network (WORKGROUP)\Entire Network

Post by *petermad »

It happens for me from time to time that I cannot see the computers on my network (2 ethernet and 3 wifi connected, 2 Windows 7, 1 Windows 8.1, 1 Windows 10 and 1 Windows XP/7) in the Network (WORKGROUP). I can always see them in the main Network directory.

In those cases, restarting one or more computers usually fixes it.

Make sure all computers uses "WORKGROUP" as the name of their workgroup (Control Panel -> System -> Computername...) - then you don't have to go all the way down to \\Network (WORKGROUP)\Entire Network to see the computers, going to \\Network (WORKGROUP) is enough.

BTW a button like this will tage you directly to \\Network (WORKGROUP):

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cd ::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

wcmicons.dll,53
Network (WORKGROUP)

To make the button:
1. Mark the green text above (click SELECT ALL).
2. Copy it to the ClipBoard (press Ctri+C).
3. Right click on TC's buttonbar and choose "Paste".
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
wgp

Post by *wgp »

Thanks petermad, I created the button and it's a nice shortcut!

Meanwhile I've tracked down most of the problem. I'm using an unmanaged 8 port switch and it occurred to me to try plugging another computer into the port where the one PC was working correctly - now the other computer worked correctly. It seems there was a problem with all the other ports. So I purchased a new switch and that fixed it! Except for one computer, a Dell with Windows 10. All the other computers, wired and wireless see each other.

So I'll keep looking at the settings. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Many thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's often a problem with the "Master browser" - that's the computer which holds the list of all other computers on the network. Windows assigns this rule automatically to the most powerful PC (which doesn't always work well). If the master browser is turnd off, it will take a while until another PC has taken its role and re-built the list of all other PCs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wgp

Post by *wgp »

Thanks, very interesting! I found the Master Browser using the command: "nbtstat -a computername" to check each computer. It was a WiFi connected computer. I shut it down and then found the next computer that had assumed the MB role. Then I rebooted the one computer that still can't see all the computers on the network but no luck.

When I restarted the computer that was originally the MB, this time I plugged it into an Ethernet connection. Now I find that the common denominator isn't wired vs. wireless -- it appears to be Windows 7 vs. Windows 10. The computer that sees only part of the network is only seeing the Windows 7 machines, even though it's a Windows 10 machine itself!

Strange stuff. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Which network profiles/type do you use on the computers? Usually, when their profile is set to "Public", they won't show any network (SMB) shares. Only in "Private" (and "Work" on older versions of Windows) they will show and allow access to the shares. This also seems to include visibility on the network.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-network-profile-public-private-windows-10/
https://www.howtogeek.com/245982/WHATS-THE-DIFFERENCE-BETWEEN-PRIVATE-AND-PUBLIC-NETWORKS-IN-WINDOWS/

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
wgp

Post by *wgp »

Thanks Dalai, I double checked and they're all set to private network.

Now I'm seeing that whole thing is quite inconsistent. Without making any changes after my last post things are almost back to where they were before I installed the new switch. One computer sees everything and has no problem drilling down to Entire Network in Total Commander. Other computers see some but not all of the other computers and there's that delay while drilling down to Entire Network - it's like something is being blocked. I'm starting to think maybe one misbehaving device on the network is somehow blocking others.

Tomorrow I might try shutting everything down and enabling the devices and computers one at a time to see what happens.

Thanks again.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2wgp
You should also check your computers for conflicting names or IP addresses.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
wgp

Post by *wgp »

Thanks Usher, I checked the IP addresses and they're all different.

This morning I disconnected all the wired computers from the network switch and reconnected them one at a time. Through this process I found the machine that seemed to be causing the problem - oddly enough it was the only one that wasn't acting strangely on the network.

I plugged the other machines in, one at a time, and most now are fine - except for two Windows 10 machines - one is wireless and one I tried both with an Ethernet cable and with a wireless dongle, either way I could only see the wired machines on the network. A third Windows 10 machine (wireless) is seeing the entire network just fine. The five Windows 7 machines are now seeing the entire network, including the machine I thought was causing the problem.

BTW, the toolbar button that petermad helped me with works great with Total Commander on all the computers except the two where can't see the wireless computers. On those it hangs for awhile, then resolves to a blank page.

I did a complete network reset on one of the misbehaving Windows 10 machines. It didn't help, although at one point in this whole testing process that machine WAS able to see the entire network!

This truly has me baffled.
wgp

Post by *wgp »

Well, after many hours of research and testing I think I've found the answer, or at least a workaround.

The two computers that are currently showing some but not all computers on the network are both Windows 10 machines with the latest updates. According to this article, there is a known issue:

http://woshub.com/network-computers-not-showing-windows-10/

Scroll down to:
How to Enable Network Discovery on Windows 10?

Starting with Windows 10 1803 (Spring Creators Update), Microsoft developers removed the ability to create a HomeGroup. In addition, Windows 10 computers no longer displayed in the network environment of the File Explorer when viewing network devices.
BTW, on these two machines the command >net view returns an error.

So, as suggested, I created a desktop shortcut to access a machine that wasn't discoverable and it worked!

Now I plan to create a shortcut for each computer on the network, put them all in a folder and pin it to a folder tab in Total Commander. With that I should be able to pretty much ignore the network tab and just use the shortcuts. I should then be able to copy that folder to all other machines instead of having to create them from scratch.

Actually I was wondering if it might be possible to somehow add the shortcuts for the missing computers to the network window in TC, but that would be the icing on the cake!

I hope this info might be helpful to someone. I appreciate the support here!