shift+F4 inside zip file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pertheli

shift+F4 inside zip file

Post by *pertheli »

If I have a file "c:\temp\myzipfile.zip" and I create a new file "readme.txt" via shift+F4 keys, while inside myzipfile.zip, the file is created in c:\temp not inside myzipfile.zip.

Is this by design? What's more, if there is already a file c:\temp\readme.txt, the old file is shown in the editor instead of a new file.

Is this by design? How do I create a newfile inside a zip file, other than copying to it via the easy interface of shift+F4 keys?
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

In reality, when you either view (F3) or edit (F4) a zipped file, TC uses the path C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_tc as the working path.
But if you create a new file, TC does not recognize the zipped file as a valid directory. For that matter you would need another tool such as Zip Magic, unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend it because it may interfere with some of TC operations and not to mention that it can even cause to crash some applications such as WinRAR.
:wink:
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Shift+F4 isn't yet supported inside a zip file, but it's planned for one of the next versions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
CADweazle

Post by *CADweazle »

And please don't forget the "F6" move out of zip-files :P
Cheer up, Karl
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

Karl Cziumplik wrote:And please don't forget the "F6" move out of zip-files :P
what if i select all files in ZIP and press F6? will it keep empty ZIP file or will it automatically delete the ZIP file? second option would be cool!
CADweazle

Post by *CADweazle »

I.m.h.o. - This behaviour should be an option in the zip-packer-settings
Cheer up, Karl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I would love to see support for F6 within archives and especially in interaction between archives and directories Christian! I constantly find myself wanting to use this feature in its later state that is (archive to folder). Shift+F4 drops into second place FOR ME but still it would be a nice feature expansion to have. Anyone interested in starting a poll for Shift+F4 and F6 on archives? I could have started one but since the initial subject was mentioned by Pertheli I think it’s better for him to initiate the poll! ;-)

Now, as far as what behavior we should get if we move the whole contents of an archive my taste goes for automatic deletion but with a confirmation message. Something like that for example: “You are about to move the whole contents of this archive. Would you like to keep the archive or delete it after unpacking? – Keep Delete Cancel” The Cancel button could be used in case the user changes his/her mind of moving the whole contents. Simple and effective for all tastes I believe!
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-04-04, 08:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

pdavit

Would you like to keep the archive or delete it?

That's a good idea but i'm not sure if empty ZIP file can exist... :)
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Dominik wrote:pdavit

Would you like to keep the archive or delete it?

That's a good idea but i'm not sure if empty ZIP file can exist... :)
I’m not sure if this is totally correct. If a hidden files can be included within an archive and the user is viewing the contents not showing hidden ones then it can exist. I’m saying this with reservations since I’ve never had to include hidden files within an archive and I don’t even know if this is feasible! ;-)
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-04-04, 08:37 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

I think TotalCMD will have to keep at least one file in the ZIP,for example it will create keep_archive.tmp.Anyway,i really dont know why would somebody want to keep empty archive,that's pointless :)
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Dominik wrote:Anyway,i really dont know why would somebody want to keep empty archive,that's pointless :)

True! We are just making suggestions here for the feature! ;-)
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Empty Zip archives can exist. Just try to delete all files from any Zip with TC. Empty Zip is 22 bytes long.

I also sometimes try to move files from archive, and this feature would be nice.

Another wish to the "Zip handling" theme: F5 (refresh) throws me out of the Zip. It's not convenient.
Last edited by Valentino on 2003-04-06, 21:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
CADweazle

Post by *CADweazle »

I´m begging Christian now for three years about this F6 feature...
Maybe a poll would move the rock!
Cheer up, Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

F6 out of archives is not supported because it's a 2 step operation:
1. Unpack the files
2. Delete the files from the archive

Step 2 would require external packers for formats other than zip...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Step 2 would require external packers for formats other than zip...
OK. If user don't have them configured - just ignore F6 command (as it is now - just silently ignored). If user has them configured (e.g. like me) it can be done by TC instead of me... :) At least keyboard buttons will serve longer (avoiding a couple of extra clicks). :)