Feature request: Synchronize dates on CD like with FTP

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Garlin007

Feature request: Synchronize dates on CD like with FTP

Post by *Garlin007 »

When synchronizing to an FTP site, Total Commander has the feature that lets you set the local file date to the date on the server. A similar problem occurs (at least on my system) when I copy files onto a CD formatted with UDF. The date on the CD is always the date and time of the copy - not the date of the original file. Unlike with files copied to a server, I can manually edit the dates on the CD, so it appears that it would be possible for Total Commander to set the date on the CD after the copy. Alternatively, in the synchronize screen there could be an option to set all the dates at once on the CD, just like when using FTP.
Gary Benjamin
Webmaster
Lotus Blossom Handmade Bath and Body Products
http://www.lblossom.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What UDF writer software do you use? There is some really bad software out there, where time stamps don't work, files get corrupted when overwrting, etc.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Garlin007

Post by *Garlin007 »

You are correct. The problem is with the UDF writer. I am using the latest update of of Roxio's CD Writer version 5 (5.3.4.21), and when I checked a CD made with the previous version (5.2.x) it did not have this problem. The date problem also occurs when you copy a file using Windows Explorer. It is well documented on Roxio's bbs in posts over a year old, and while they appeared to have fixed it in version 5.2.x it appears to have returned in the more recent version.

The ability to set the date of a file in one folder to be the same as a date of a file with the same name in another folder (or the highlighted file - using the same selection metaphor currently used by Total Commander for other operations such as file compare) is still a useful feature for several reasons:

1. To keep track of files that I offload to a CD I create a zero byte file on my hard drive in the place where the file was removed. I set the timestamp of the zero byte file equal to the file that was migrated. I presently use a little batch program that I call using a button in Total Commander to do this automatically.

2. When files are moved from one server to another in an office the timestamps sometimes change by 1 hour - related to daylight savings time, I think. (weird - not all the files change - I don't know why.) Synchronizing the files with my hard drive of CDs then becomes difficult. Being able to synchronize the dates would fix this.

3. Until Roxio fixes their program, this could help compensate for their bug. I can't switch to the earlier version because it has a worse bug - it crashes when you try to copy a large file.

By the way, Christian, do you think the timeout on this board can be increased a little? I spent about an hour to research and write up my first response and when I posted it the board told me my session had expired, so I lost all my text :(

Also, I am impressed by how fast you responded to my posts. Is there a reason why you haven't responded equally fast to this post http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=463 ? Perhaps because it was originally for an older version of Total Commander? I re-tested the problem with the new version 5.51 and have updated the post accordingly.
Gary Benjamin
Webmaster
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Garlin007 wrote:2. When files are moved from one server to another in an office the timestamps sometimes change by 1 hour - related to daylight savings time, I think. (weird - not all the files change - I don't know why.) Synchronizing the files with my hard drive of CDs then becomes difficult.
See TC's help for INI's 1hourdif parameter. It should help.
Garlin007 wrote:when I posted it the board told me my session had expired, so I lost all my text
Don't you see your post when you press Back button?
Garlin007

Post by *Garlin007 »

Thanks, Valentino, for your response.

I am aware of the 1 hour diff parameter. That's better than nothing, but not quite as elegant as being able to change the dates - expecially if you also use batch files to automate backups that use xcopy with the -d parameter to copy only newer files.

No, when I pressed the back button, the box was empty.

Test it yourself, if you want, to see if it was just a fluke. Type someting in this reply box, leave your system idle for a while, press submit, get the error, and then press back.
Gary Benjamin
Webmaster
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Garlin007 wrote:Test it yourself, if you want, to see if it was just a fluke. Type someting in this reply box, leave your system idle for a while, press submit, get the error, and then press back.
For Mozilla and IE text remains (I mean quick-reply box).
Maybe there's some hack to improve this forum for other browsers.
Garlin007

Post by *Garlin007 »

I am using Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920.

I tested out the problem by filling this box, and leaving it for a few hours, then pressing Submit. I got the same error about an exired session. When I pressed the back button on my browser, this box was empty. I have just re-entered this info (without loging in again) into this same box, and if you see it that means the second attempt worked.
Gary Benjamin
Webmaster
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

I tested Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 SP1 under NT4 and I had my post safe and sound in Quick Reply box after I pressed Back button on "Invalid_session" page! Strange. Maybe OS matters?..

BTW, I get "Invalid_session" page constantly, even if I press Back-Submit 1000 times. I have to press Refresh or "Post Reply" to post.
Garlin007

A date synchronize feature can be moved to the back burner

Post by *Garlin007 »

Since Roxio has fixed their software, and the dates are now appearing correctly on the CD, there is no longer a need to fix these dates with another program like Total Commander.

There are other occasions when there is a need to synchronize dates. In particular, I have found that there are times that the dates on files on a diskette or between a network server and a client are off by an hour. I believe this has something to do with the time zone being different when the files were copied vs. when the files are being compared. So in this circumstance, it might be useful to be able to reset the dates on the files so they don't show up as being different when you are synchronizing. I don't face this issue very often, so as far as I am concerned, the feature I originally requsted is of a lower priority for me.
Gary Benjamin
Webmaster