Opening folders with Total Commander - need help

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Alya

Opening folders with Total Commander - need help

Post by *Alya »

I have configured Total Commander to be the default file manager, so that folders are opened by Total Commander, not by explorer:

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types -> Folder / File Folder -> Advanced

"Edit File Type" Dialog Box -> New:

New Action: Open with Total Commander
Application used to perform the action: [path to totalcmd.exe]\totalcmd.exe /R="%1"

"Set Default"

It's a very convenient set-up, I highly recommend it.

Desktop environment is still provided by Windows Explorer (since Total Commander does not provide desktop environment). I have various folders and shortcuts on desktop. To open them in Total Commander, I just double-click on them.

TC is configured to open folder contents in the right panel by default (because I'm using /R switch in Folder Options above).

I configured Left panel to display "Tree View". Total Commander is set to remember panel view settings, so it always opens the tree view in left panel.

PROBLEM: the tree view does NOT open at the folder that's opened in right panel.

E.g.
Folder F:\Documents and Settings\Config\ opened in right panel
But the left panel does not show tree opened at F:\Documents and Settings\Config\
Instead it shows tree of C:\ or whatever previous folder was used. Even though the option "Operation/Save on Exit/Directories" is unchecked.

It seems like either a bug or design flaw.

This is not some obscure feature, but very basic functionality of Windows Explorer. When you "explore" folders (as opposed to "open"), this is how Windows Explorer displays things (folder contents on the right, tree opened at the same folder on the left).

I'm so accustomed to Windows Explorer operating this way, it's just mind-boggling that more "advanced" file manager like Total Commander doesn't have this very basic functionality.

I was considering switching to Total Commander because of other features that I need. But I don't want to give up Windows Explorer's convenient way to explore folders.

I'd really like to get some answers. Can this be resolved in the future? Is there a way around it? Could there be another command line switch so that desired folder is opened in tree view with that switch?
woefdram

Post by *woefdram »

Imo it's not a design flaw but a design difference.
In explorer, both panes open focused on the same directory, tree view left ("structure") and list view right ("contents").
TC obviously doesn't work that way: the two panes are meant to focus on different directories, it's just a matter of convenience that in either panel clicking on a folder in tree view opens it up in the other panel.
As it's about two panes focusing on different directories instead of on the same one, I think you would have a lot of people complain if it would work the way explorer does.
Why not open your desktop folders in tabs, leave TC running and go to the directories by choosing the right tab? By having TC launch at Windows startup you won't have to go to your desktop to open these folders
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

If you are in the right pane on "F:\Documents and Settings\Config\" the tree on the left shown should be "F:\" and not "C:\".

Treeview shows always the drive of the opposite window (in that way similar to Explorer).

I don't know any way to open the tree with the particular folder you are in. AFAIK you can see only the collapsed tree when opening TC.

But the main goal of TC is the two window feature where most file operations got implicit the active pane as source and the inactive as target e.g. for copy, move, pack, unoack etc.
So TC is quite different from Explorer and most users do like this difference.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
franck8244
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *franck8244 »

sheepdog wrote:I don't know any way to open the tree with the particular folder you are in. AFAIK you can see only the collapsed tree when opening TC.
Don't you know TCScript Editor ? :wink:
TC#88260 -
Alya

Post by *Alya »

woefdram

The way Total Commander opens folders should be configurable (It should not be a choice between users who like explorer-way and those who like the other way). TC should be able to do both.
woefdram wrote:Why not open your desktop folders in tabs, leave TC running and go to the directories by choosing the right tab? By having TC launch at Windows startup you won't have to go to your desktop to open these folders
Very interesting. Do you mean to get rid of Window Explorer desktop altogether and have Total Commander as your entire shell? Then what about all other Desktop features (taskbar, system tray, etc)?

Sheepdog
But the main goal of TC is the two window feature
That might have been at the beginning.
What impressed me the most about Total Coommander was all the extra functions and plugins that Explorer doesn't have (checksum calculations, changing file attributes, configurable buttons, copying with NTSF permissions, opening various compound files like chm and various types of installers, etc). But I found file browsing more difficult without the tree. If you want to go up 4 directories, instead of just clicking once on desired directory in tree view, you have to click "go up to the parent" four times and so on...

franck8244
Thank you very much!! I will try that.
Juno

Post by *Juno »

Alya, I honestly don't see how you can say using a tree is more efficient. Try navigating your folders without the mouse and just the keyboard, everything is much faster!

For example, if I need to go up 4 folders for whatever reason, I just press Backspace 4 times. Usually I don't even have to do that, because if the folder is in its own tab, I just use the shortcut key for the tab. If the folder is in my directory hotlist, I just type CTRL+D and it takes me there right away.

FURTHERMORE, if it was a folder that I've already been to, then I just type ALT+down arrow, and again I can instantly go there.

There are so many ways to efficiently navigate folders with the keyboard using TC, that the mouse just slows everything down. If you learn how to navigate it using all of TC's features, you won't need Windows Explorer for anything at all. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Alya,
If you want to go up 4 directories, instead of just clicking once on desired directory in tree view, you have to click "go up to the parent" four times and so on...
Apart from Juno's suggestion, you can also hold Shift and click on the desired dir in the "current directory path" above the file panel.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

you can also hold Shift and click on the desired dir in the "current directory path" above the file panel
Or put the following line in the [face=courier][configuration][/face] section of wincmd.ini:

[face=courier]InplaceRenamePath=2[/face]

... and you won't even have to use the shift key.

Clicking on the path portion you wish to navigate to is even faster than pressing backspace. The reason for this is you don't have to remember how many levels "up the tree" a particular path lies relative to the current one... TC "remembers" for you by showing it to you in the current path for a panel.

Point and click: you're there!
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

franck8244 wrote:Don't you know TCScript Editor ? :wink:
No what's that??? ;) :lol:

Seriosly: I thought about an inbuilt way. The scriot editor did not come to my mind.
Alya wrote: That might have been at the beginning.
What impressed me the most about Total Coommander was all the extra functions and plugins...
My rematk was supposed to make you try the different concept of TC. I totally agree that there are much more reasons to prefer TC.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
Alya

Post by *Alya »

Juno wrote:if I need to go up 4 folders for whatever reason, I just press Backspace 4 times. Usually I don't even have to do that, because if the folder is in its own tab, I just use the shortcut key for the tab. If the folder is in my directory hotlist, I just type CTRL+D and it takes me there right away.

FURTHERMORE, if it was a folder that I've already been to, then I just type ALT+down arrow, and again I can instantly go there.
Thank you. I just tried that and it's quite fast indeed. I guess I'd just have to learn to use keyboard more.
Hacker wrote:hold Shift and click on the desired dir in the "current directory path" above the file panel.
Do you mean desired directoty in the history list of visited directories (that opens with Alt+PageDown)?
Nothing happens when I hold down shift key. When I just click on current directory path (with or without shift key), it becomes editable (then one has to type in the path to go to).
JohnFredC wrote:put the following line in the [configuration] section of wincmd.ini:
InplaceRenamePath=2
I tried that setting, but the current directory path seems to be editable with or without it...

Sheepdog
Thanks, probably would be easier if I just forget "Explorer" habits and try learning Total Commander from scratch :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Do you mean desired directoty in the history list of visited directories (that opens with Alt+PageDown)?
No, I mean the path shown above the file panel by default. You can activate it through Configuration - Options - Layout - Show current directory.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Alya wrote:
JohnFredC wrote:put the following line in the [configuration] section of wincmd.ini:
InplaceRenamePath=2
I tried that setting, but the current directory path seems to be editable with or without it...
You have to use TC version 6.5 and after making this setting to restart TC.
Sheepdog
Thanks, probably would be easier if I just forget "Explorer" habits and try learning Total Commander from scratch :)
That's what I intended you to consider :lol:.
Douglas Adams
Alya

Post by *Alya »

I was still on TC 6.05a
I'll try upgrading and see if the shift thing will work with TC 6.5
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Alya wrote:I was still on TC 6.05a
You mean v6.03a of course, don't you?! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Alya

Post by *Alya »

Yes, it was 6.03a

In TC 6.5 I can navigate directories by clicking folders in current dir path. Thanks