Opening folders with Total Commander - need help

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

szlori

Post by *szlori »

To go back to Alya's problem:
Altough I'm not a fan of Windows Explorer in any way :wink: I have to agree with Alya in some points.
  • If you open Tree View in left panel it will open with the same drive letter as the right panel's content, open at the exact same directory as the right panel.
  • If you have Tree View in left panel, it will always follow the contents of right panel if you change dir (or even drive) in right panel.
  • Now, if this doesn't happen at start-up as well, it seems a bit inconsistent.
On the other hand, if you specify a directory to be loaded in the left panel, the Tree View mode is not preserved. The new directory is open in Full mode. (Although other modes, like thumbnail, are preserved).

So, even if I haven't used Explorer for ages, and I don't use that kind of browsing, I have to agree that at least from behavioral consistency :wink: point of view, TC should work as Alya expected it.
Alya

Post by *Alya »

szlori

Thanks. I think I found a work-around this issue.

My starting point is:
Right Panel: Contents of the folder that was clicked to launch Total Commander (focus on the Right)
Left Panel: Tree view of another folder/drive (determined by what was last saved)

From this starting point the following command brings me to the desired view:

cm_LeftTree - opens the left panel tree at the desired folder (switches drives if necessary)

So this command needs to be executed every time a new instance of Total Commander is launched by Windows. I'm presently trying to accomplish that using TC Script Editor :)
wrightwe

Post by *wrightwe »

Juno wrote:Alya, I honestly don't see how you can say using a tree is more efficient. Try navigating your folders without the mouse and just the keyboard, everything is much faster!

For example, if I need to go up 4 folders for whatever reason, I just press Backspace 4 times. Usually I don't even have to do that, because if the folder is in its own tab, I just use the shortcut key for the tab. If the folder is in my directory hotlist, I just type CTRL+D and it takes me there right away.

FURTHERMORE, if it was a folder that I've already been to, then I just type ALT+down arrow, and again I can instantly go there.

There are so many ways to efficiently navigate folders with the keyboard using TC, that the mouse just slows everything down. If you learn how to navigate it using all of TC's features, you won't need Windows Explorer for anything at all. :)
I couldn't have said it better. One of the reasons I love using TC is due to all the different keyboard shortcut keys as well as being able to accomplish a task 10 different ways. I've been an avid user since 1996 and it's only gotten better over time. Of all the programs I've used, this one is my all-time favorite.

One other thing, I really like the new tab feature as well. Before that came along, I had a button at the top for spawning an additional copy of TC if I needed to do other things real quickly. At times, I still do this, but as I get quicker with the tabs I'll use it more and more.

Bill Wright
#62239 Personal License
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

...I honestly don't see how you can say using a tree is more efficient... et al
TCs "no hierarchy" and keyboard-shorts methodology works fine if you already know where you are going... but if you don't know exactly, then a tree lets you see the "big picture".

Maybe some of you can keep your entire file hierarchies in your heads and you always know exactly where everything is. In such a case, pressing a key a predetermined number of times always takes you exactly where you want to go, right?. Good for you!

For the rest of us (for instance, I have over 500Gb of personal disk space on six physical drives + eight virtual drives with over a million files and folders, growing daily), any actual copy/move episode is preceded by a (sometimes short, sometimes longer) period of thought, research, and decision because I can't (and have no interest in) keeping all of it at the forefront of my mind.

Even if it sucks as an interface for actual file activities such as copying, a tree is a good visual overview for a hierarchical file system. It facilitates the "decision" part of a file activity.

When designing user interfaces, it is important to understand and implement for ALL components of a task. The actual navigating/copying/moving are only the endpoint of a file system task. First you have to understand, decide, locate, select, etc.

TC needs more and better visual tools for that and an optional folder tree in each panel would be a good step.

(Sorry this post is "all over the map" but most of this stuff is closely inter-related.)
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Alya:
I support your wish, tree view should be automatically adjusted when choosing /R. I think this is a bug.

@JohnFredC:
You are completely right, JohnFredC and for people like us who like tree browsing I proposed a tool a while ago called ShortPopUp:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=4440#34669

At least it is a nice workaround till treeview is implemented in TC. ;)

With the new TC 6.50 switch /S that tells TC to interpret /L resp. /R as active/inactive panel a new regfile can be used, though.

Opens folder in active panel:
<---cut--->
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="Total_Commander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander]
@="Total Commander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander\command]
@="C:\\Programme\\Total Commander\\TOTALCMD.EXE /O /S /L=%1"
<---cut--->

If you prefer to imitate Explorer behaviour you can use this regfile instead with additional parameter /R.

Opens folder in inactive panel:
<---cut--->
REGEDIT4

@="Total_Commander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander]
@="Total Commander"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander\command]
@="C:\\Programme\\Total Commander\\TOTALCMD.EXE /O /S /R=%1"
<---cut--->

Icfu
This account is for sale
PeterTBCarp

Registry Entries

Post by *PeterTBCarp »

They make interesting behavioural changes, icfu. However they do seem to slow down TC loading in Win2k; maybe it's because the prefetch is being composed. It -might- have sped up now...

Nevertheless, how would you advise a quick and easy method of *Removing* those registry entries? (It's always good practice to have a reverse...)
PeterTBCarp

Post by *PeterTBCarp »

I also have to say that I agree with Alya on this panel thing.

TC has SETTABLE panel styles - Detail, Brief, tabbed, etc. Each side behaves independently and is settable for style and place.

Within those styles there is a Special Case - the tree style, that happens to have a behavioural trait of immediately reflecting the contents of a chosen tree branch in the opposite panel. A la Explorer. Just another panel style with a special personality.

TROUBLE IS that Christian doesn't let us SAVE that one particular style. In fact he's set it in some kind of mad reverse: if you choose a disk drive from the contents panel... the source tree panel changes (backwardsly) to reflect the change, and stays as a tree.

If, HOWEVER, you choose another drive from a Tree panel (having been happy with its style) - YOU LOSE THAT PANEL'S STYLE SETTING.

THAT'S MAD. WHY???

WHY CAN'T YOU SAVE A TREE ???

USERS SET THE STYLE OF A PANEL !!! IT SHOULD STICK !!!
---------------------

UPDATE 11th MAR '05:
OK, Now the Tree seems to be saving itself. A Tree now comes up in the LHS panel when I start TC. Gawd knows why. :o (The tree's fully expanded, however. I'll work on that. :evil: )
Last edited by PeterTBCarp on 2005-03-11, 06:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
PeterTBCarp

Post by *PeterTBCarp »

One last thing: I could have sworn when I was fooling around with Tree view earlier that, with Tree style on the left, when I moved to a branch, the contents of that branch immediately displayed in the right panel.

It's no longer doing that. Win2k. TC603a, TC651, WC454. Registered, of course. 8)

Now it's not even happening on XPp.

Was I imagining things?
---------------------

UPDATE 11th MAR '05:
The Tree shows immediately | |---> there | on my 98SE machines, but my main XPp's still lost the ability to do so. :evil:
Last edited by PeterTBCarp on 2005-03-11, 06:44 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
PeterTBCarp

Re: Opening folders with Total Commander - need help

Post by *PeterTBCarp »

Alya wrote:
I have configured Total Commander to be the default file manager, so that folders are opened by Total Commander, not by explorer:

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types -> Folder / File Folder -> Advanced

"Edit File Type" Dialog Box -> New:

New Action: Open with Total Commander
Application used to perform the action: [path to totalcmd.exe]\totalcmd.exe /R="%1"

"Set Default"

It's a very convenient set-up, I highly recommend it.
Alya,
Interesting tweak you have there - but any idea how it can be UNDONE??
On my Win2000 box as administrator those Remove and Edit buttons in Folder Options Adv etc. are greyed-out. Any idea what's happening? Thx.
PeterTBCarp

Post by *PeterTBCarp »

The reason I ask is because after trying your suggestion Win2k looks for Total.exe when it should be looking for Totalcmd.exe. Can't remember at the mo where to change that. :cry:
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

1st off: 1 Post would have been enough dont you think ? :P
PeterTBCarp wrote:One last thing: I could have sworn when I was fooling around with Tree view earlier that, with Tree style on the left, when I moved to a branch, the contents of that branch immediately displayed in the right panel.
Strange on my System it does...
The reason I ask is because after trying your suggestion Win2k looks for Total.exe when it should be looking for Totalcmd.exe. Can't remember at the mo where to change that
Is your TC-exefile still called totalcmd.exe ?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

However they do seem to slow down TC loading in Win2k
If you experience a slowdown you are probably using a bad anti virus app that gets active on right click. This is only a context menu entry that has no effect on performance itself, at least not a measurable one. Instead of explorer.exe totalcmd.exe is started on double click, that's all.
Nevertheless, how would you advise a quick and easy method of *Removing* those registry entries? (It's always good practice to have a reverse...)
As the entries didn't exist before you can safely delete them.

<---cut--->
REGEDIT4

@=-

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Total_Commander]
<---cut--->

Icfu
This account is for sale
PeterTBCarp

Post by *PeterTBCarp »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: ...
Is your TC-exefile still called totalcmd.exe ?
Yep, still Totalcmd.exe - it's just that embedded in my system somewhere is a reference to Total.exe - which I'd rather not have. :cry:
I've had to duplicate the exe to get it to fire.

(One post?: funny in these fora people generally answer ONLY the first or last question - short attention span - so putting in a number of them rarely get complete replies.... :( )

(ADDENDUM: Ah... I do see that I can edit my entries. I'll see if that helps.)
Last edited by PeterTBCarp on 2005-03-09, 06:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
PeterTBCarp

Post by *PeterTBCarp »

icfu wrote:
PTBC:: However they do seem to slow down TC loading in Win2k
If you experience a slowdown....
Icfu
Slowdown: nothing related to a rightclick, just taking TC itself longer to launch.... It may be improving, tho I'm thinking that registry entries for TC may have bound it up. I'll see....

Reg'y: thanks for the removal code, icfu.
Is that "@=-"? i.e. at equals minus ??
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Slowdown: nothing related to a rightclick, just taking TC itself longer to launch.... It may be improving, tho I'm thinking that registry entries for TC may have bound it up. I'll see....
If you experience a general slowdown it's your anti virus app with a chance of about 99%. totalcmd.exe is a packed UPX executable and some crappy av apps can't handle that one correctly.

Either remove your av app and try a good one like Kaspersky or try the unpacked totalcmd.exe executable:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=6634 or exclude totalcmd.exe from monitoring.

Registry keys for TC are only used to specify ini location, they cannot be the resaon.
Reg'y: thanks for the removal code, icfu.
Is that "@=-"? i.e. at equals minus ??
Use copy & paste please, yes, it's a minus.

Icfu
This account is for sale