Can't log in to wiki: User name not found or forbidden characters in user name error

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vort3

Can't log in to wiki: User name not found or forbidden characters in user name error

Post by *vort3 »

Today I registered on this forum, and later I found out that wiki uses same login/password, however, when I try to log in to wiki I see this error:
User name not found or forbidden characters in user name error
It's located at the very top of the page (and you can't even select this text for some reason). Also, above login and password fields there is this message (highlighted in red):
Incorrect username or password entered.
Please try again.
I can successfully log in to this forum with the same password, why can't I log in to wiki?

Before you ask: I'm not making errors by mistake, I copy/paste my password.
Also, it has special characters, they are there for security reasons.

English is not my native language.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't log in to wiki: User name not found or forbidden characters in user name error

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it's caused by mod_security? See this explanation:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Po0xktb7d9jexjiq
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
vort3

Re: Can't log in to wiki: User name not found or forbidden characters in user name error

Post by *vort3 »

I don't know, it's possible. Would you suggest me to change my password and not use any special characters?

English is not my native language.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

vort3 wrote: 2020-04-14, 15:29 UTC ...Would you suggest me to change my password and not use any special characters?
Me would say, just try it out!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, please try it and report back here.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pplupo

Post by *pplupo »

I'm not one of resurrecting old threads, but I'm having a similar issue and it would be useful for future users if the solutions can be found in the same thread.

The difference is that I'm not using special characters. I also get the "User name not found or forbidden characters in user name error" at the top of the page. I'm getting "Incorrect username or password entered. Please try again." in the login panel.

I have already deleted the cookies, not only ghisler2wiki but all ghisler related. Twice. And tried while I was logged in the forum. And then I deleted the cookies and tried while I was logged out of the forum. It simply doesn't log in.
I've also tried changing my password in the forum. Always clearing the cookies. Nothing works.