English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Good news: Total Commander 9.51 still working fine on Linux Mint 19.3

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, folks, specifically those, who are interested in Linux:

Good news: Total Commander 9.51 still the works fine on Linux Mint 19.3 under Wine 4.0.
Why Wine 4.0 and not 5.0?
Because LM 19.3 makes installing Wine 4.0 very easy, whereas the current WineHQ instruction on installing Wine 5.0 on LM19.3 / Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is a bit tricky, not really straight forward, in particular for Linux users, who are not too experienced, yet.

Why do I mention at all that Total Commander 9.51 works fine on Linux Mint 19.3 under Wine 4.0?
Because I have been using Total Commander on Ubuntu/LM under Wine for more than 10 years now. And because in the past there seemed to be more Total Commander users like me, running it under Wine on Linux. Got the impression, we are a dying species. Like the dinosaurs.

Enjoy the Easter Days. :)
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Good news: Total Commander 9.51 still working fine on Linux Mint 19.3

Post by *Usher »

What Wine and TC have you installed - 32- or 64-bit?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Usher.

On Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04, it is Wine 4.0 64-bit and 32-bit,

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list wine* | grep "^ii"
ii  wine-desktop-files    4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-installer        4.0.5        all          Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
ii  wine-stable           4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-amd64     4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-stable-i386:i386 4.0~bionic   i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winehq-stable         4.0~bionic   amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
on which both Total Commander 9.51 64-bit and 32-bit are run. - Actually, I run Total Command 9.51 64-bit 99% of the time.
Screenshot: Image: https://abload.de/img/tc9.51_combined3mj9h.png

Brief answer: Wine 4.0 64-bit + 32-bit with the combined Total Commander 9.51 64-bit + 32-bit

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

What about copying large files from/to the pendrive?
Some time ago I did tests on Mint Mate 18.3 (you use xfce). Both TC 64-bit in Wine 64-bit and native Double Commander hanged in the end of copying to the pendrive. Maybe it's a problem with settings? Caja (or whatever Nautilus fork it was) worked with no problem.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Raises the question how you define the term "large files"?
The largest files which I copy rarely, but in regular intervals of 6 months roughly, are the Ubuntu and the Linux Mint ISO image files. Sizes vary between 1.5 GB and 2.0 GB. I assume they qualify as "large files".

Of course, copying files using a file-manager, which runs under Wine, like Total Commander is noticeably slower than using a genuine Linux file-manager like e.g. Gnome Commander or xfe.
(I hardly ever manage files using Nautilus, Nemo, Caja or Thunar, usually only on a freshly installed installation, before Gnome Commander or xfe have been installed.)

As a rule copying files using genuine Linux file-managers might be 30% faster than copying via Total Commander under Wine.
As a consequence the mentioned ISO image files will be copied using Gnome Commander or xfe as a rule.

I have not noticed any weird hangs when copying such files to USB pendrives or USB attached backup disks.
Neither when copying via Gnome Commander or xfe or via Totall Commander under Wine.

In more than 50% of all cases, the operation, which is performed, is not a simple copy from source to target, but a synchronization (symmetric or asymmetric). Neither Gnome Commander, nor xfe can do this. This is one of the main reasons, why I use Total Commander on Linux as well.

Once again, I have not noticed that copy operations from internal harddisks / SSDs to external harddisks or pendrives hang at the end of the copy process.
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you have a problem with dark mode (checkboxes appearing black on black background), then please follow these instructions sent to me by another user:
https://www.abstractspoon.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=471
- Override windows/system32/mfc42u.dll with the one from actual working Windows XP <- probably not needed for Total Commander
- Override windows/system32/comctl32.dll with the one from actual working Windows XP
- Remove the "common" manifest file from windows/winsxs/manifests
- Add in Wine configuration for Totalcmd.exe the DLL override with *comctl32 (native,builtin)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Good evening, Christian.

Thank you very much for explaining how to make dark mode work under Wine on Linux as well. :)
May I carefully ask whether some kind of misunderstanding has happened perhaps?
I had not reported any problem. Was more like a "I am still alive; and T.C. is still live on Linux Mint/Wine after 10 years as well".
Neither Usher, nor me had mentioned dark mode so far.

Best regards,
Karl
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I just mentioned this because I got some questions about dark mode on Linux via e-mail. Since dark mode is the most prominent addition to TC 9.51, I wanted to describe it here for people having the same problem.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
rilley

Post by *rilley »

Hello,

For MAC OS X Catalina with Crossover 19 (wine4) the TC 9.51 32bit works fine.

Regards.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2karlchen
2ghisler(Author)
Well, I did some tests with copying from/to the pendrive. For both 32- and 64-bit TC versions, the copying goes fine (checked from another TC instance), but the dialog window with copy progress gets irresponsible when using standard copy method. Big file copy mode works OK. The same happens with Background Transfer Manager window using standard copy method - no mouse pointer visible in the window, no refresh when resizing.

2karlchen
What settings do you use in Copy/Delete options?

2ghisler(Author)
As the same problem with hanging dialog window exists in Double Commander, it may be some bug in Delphi/Lazarus…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, usher.
Total Commander 9.51 uses the "Standard Copy Method (Reommended)" on my Mint systems.
Karl
The Prophet's Song
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2karlchen
It may be some glitch in desktop environment or in Mint itself. In my case it happens in both Cinnamon and Mate desktop on Linux Mint 18.3. I can test XFCE, but I can't update Mint 18.3 in the nearest time.
Andrzej P. Wozniak