Feature request

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Feature request

Post by *wanderer »

The compare directories (Shift-F2) command could be enhanced so that it enters through compressed files and compares the files inside them.

Explaining: i have 10 zip files in a dir and 10 other zip files with the same names in another dir. Their dates or sizes may be different due to better/worse compression but they may contain exactly the same things. If TC could enter inside the zips and compare the included files (recursively) by date/time and size, it could report that the zips, although i.e. they have different dates, their contents are exactly the same.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

This should rather be implemented in Synchronize Dirs IMO.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hmmm, yes probably. I haven't been using this feature, that's why i didn't suggest to implement "packed files" in it. I have an external program i use.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~lploeger/TreeComp3.htm

It's similar to TC's look but i like better that it shows the filename one time only, in the middle of the list.

Christian, how about showing the filename once, just in the middle? after all, the colors and buttons with the arrows on top are pretty clear, why having the name twice?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I sometimes use BeyondCompare. It is a very good tool for comparison activities. It also "looks" the way I sometimes wish TotalCommander "looked".

http://www.scootersoftware.com

Beautiful and effectively designed software.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
CADweazle

Post by *CADweazle »

Don't worry!

It's already impelmented!!

2 ways:

1. Search via ALT-F7 - Advanced - Find duplicate files
select same name, same size, same contents
2. Commands - Synchronize dirs - select "by content" AND "ignore date"

In both cases TC will identify the two zips as identical!

Greetings,
Cheer up, Karl
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

CADweazle wrote:1. Search via ALT-F7 - Advanced - Find duplicate files, select same name, same size, same contents
Nice one but a little more complicated than what i'd like.
CADweazle wrote:2. Commands - Synchronize dirs - select "by content" AND "ignore date"
Just tried it. I compressed a file with compression 9 and the same with compression 1. I put each of them in an empty dir and compared those dirs. It didn't work. :(

Thanx anyway.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

You're right. I tried it and it worked. What happens if you have to do that for 100 zips though? Perhaps a "compare contents of compressed files" checkbox is more appropriate, like in search function. I just hope Christian is watching this thread and agrees with me :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

wanderer- i've never needed this,but good feature it would be.i agree with you.and i'm sure christian watches everything here,and he writes down every request.we just need to patient...