[Feature suggestion] clean out obsolete dir menu entries

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ap1978

[Feature suggestion] clean out obsolete dir menu entries

Post by *ap1978 »

While doing my file-management I often add temporary shortcuts to dirs which later get deleted leaving dead entries in the directory menu. Therefore, it would have been nice with an option that cleans out non-existant dirs from the menu.
Owner of personal license #67464
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This could be dangerous, because Network shares may be temporarily unavailable...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jb

Post by *jb »

Generally I agree that dead entries (broken links) are a reoccurring problem, but I think it's not worth to blow TC for this, (also) because the 'Directory Hotlist' of TC is typically rather small.

However there is a related topic I would like to mention: Currently wincmd.ini is a motley collection of keys and values that might be reorganized with little effort. Just as a rough idea I suggest to split wincmd.ini up into the following 3 files:
1) tc_core.ini for settings independent of the local drives and the LAN. Thus it would be easier to keep the TC-settings of multiple computers in sync (eg. a business-pc and a home-pc).
2) tc_env.ini for settings dependent of the local drives and the LAN (eg. [DirMenu]). Furthermore the format should be changed so that it would be easy to manage sections such as [DirMenu] directly in a text editor (now it's quite awkward).
3) tc_hist.ini for history data (eg: [SearchName], [SearchIn], [SearchText], [RenameTemplates], [Command line history]). Thus it would be easier to get rid of history data. Tools such as 'TC History Cleaner' would go obsolete.
Last edited by jb on 2003-02-10, 23:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

Why would you split the wincmd.ini file in 3 ?
It takes a few ms to load or save a text file like this in memory.

I think it's more simple like this.
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
jb

Post by *jb »

fabiochelly wrote:Why would you split the wincmd.ini file in 3 ?
It takes a few ms to load or save a text file like this in memory.
It's not about speed, first of all it's about managing TC-settings on multiple PCs. Please read my original post again, carefully.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

jb didn’t suggest 3 ini files for speed reasons fabiochelly.

Any way, I kinda find the idea very strange but at the same time very interesting somehow!!!

I don’t think though that the coding task will be that easy!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!