quick view media

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gazoz

quick view media

Post by *gazoz »

Hi There!

I am having a (slighly) annoying problem with the quick view (lister if you wish) when I use them with my mp3's..

Quick view plays the mp3's improperly. Any mp3 sounds like a very low quality mp3, whereas winamp plays them right. I have plenty of codecs installed and it seems that quick view doesn't use the right one. Is it possible to configure this?

Besides, there are some videos of certaing encoding (ac3 and several other codecs) which quick view plays only the audio and displays a blank screen (no need to mention, they play properly in my system with a media player). Is this a configuration problem as well?

I know that totalcmd is not a media player but I also know that playing media is slicker than snot on a glass eye for such a powerful tool, then why not have it?

Thanks a lot
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander doesn't play these files itself, it calls Windows Media Player via a very simple interface. Can you play the files in mplayer2.exe (not wmplayer)? If not, then you seem to have a codec problem.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

thanks a lot for the reply..

Strange enough, mplayer doesn't seem to have problem playing the video file (which shows a blank screen in lister); however mplayer does have the problem with mp3's: It (and therefore lister) somehow uses a different encoder, which doesn't sound right.

Well, as far as I understand this is an individual problem of my system. I just do not know how to configure the systemwide codec settings, whereas wmplayer and winamp have the built-in capability of auto configuration for the best codec. Well, I just do not know...
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

There is another issue: The shortcuts displayed in the context menu of lister in mplayer mode don't seem to work.
I would have been nice to hit alt+2 to shrink the size of the frame for instance.. or to play-pause from keyboard.

Are these shortcuts also part of the mplayer module and don't have anything to do with totalcmd?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I just do not know how to configure the systemwide codec settings

Run mmsys.cpl from the command line, then the last tab (Devices I think).

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2gazoz
Try installing the DivX :) 3.11 bundle, it includes an mp3 codec which works very well.
The shortcuts displayed in the context menu of lister in mplayer mode don't seem to work.
Indeed these shortcuts don't work. The Windows Media Player plugin displays them, but doesn't seem to handle them, not even when it has the focus...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

thanx a lot guys...
===========================
I am in love with ghisler... no speculations please! you know why ...
gazoz

things getting more annoying

Post by *gazoz »

Well, not being able to solve the problem, I couldn't even find a work around.. The codec that mplayer2 and therefore lister use seems to be persistent...

I have downloaded 100s of small mp3's for modifying the sound schemes, and I can not overstate how a properly working quick view would help! However, with these low quality mp3's I have found out that things are much much worse. Lister barely plays the low quality mp3s. (nothing but ticks and jiggles)

I have uninstalled all mp3 codecs from my system (from control panel/sounds and audio/hardware/audio codecs) and installed the LAME codec. It didn't help!

Is there a way to configure mplayer2 or the system settings directly so that all mp3's are played from the single (the very nice) codec that winamp uses for instance?

Thanx a lot ...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

gazoz,
I have uninstalled all mp3 codecs from my system (from control panel/sounds and audio/hardware/audio codecs) and installed the LAME codec. It didn't help!

LAME doesn't currently support decoding (playing) AFAIK.

Is there a way to configure mplayer2 or the system settings directly so that all mp3's are played from the single (the very nice) codec that winamp uses for instance?

Winamp uses its own DLL, so that's probably not possible.

Sorry to be of such little help.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gazoz

Post by *gazoz »

Thanks to the plug-in technology that totalcmd offers and to the author of mmedia lister plug-in, François GANNIER, I have an unrivalled environment for media view... !!!

I only recently discover that plug-in's are much more than just simple extensions.. They offer a totally new experience. And totalcmd becomes more and more addictive at each version. I can't belive this... and I do not remember myself spending so much time with a utility just for fun and enjoying the details... Well, totalcmd comprises 50% of my computer time, but that is mostly the use of it; now I spare much more time just for the fun of it..

For the ones who still think that plugins are not that essential (like myself until recently), don't miss the biggest part of the show! check out http://members.lycos.co.uk/maxwish/ for a kick start... (thx to MaxWish)
===========================
I am in love with ghisler... no speculations please! you know why ...
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

gazoz wrote: I only recently discover that plug-in's are much more than just simple extensions.. They offer a totally new experience. And totalcmd becomes more and more addictive at each version. I can't belive this... and I do not remember myself spending so much time with a utility just for fun and enjoying the details... Well, totalcmd comprises 50% of my computer time, but that is mostly the use of it; now I spare much more time just for the fun of it..
Nothing more to say... I just feel the same... A day without a new plugin (or new found key or solution in TC) is the lost day.
gazoz wrote: For the ones who still think that plugins are not that essential (like myself until recently), don't miss the biggest part of the show! check out http://members.lycos.co.uk/maxwish/ for a kick start... (thx to MaxWish)
True... true.. :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl