Transfer speed with SSH plugin

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Atlantis

Transfer speed with SSH plugin

Post by *Atlantis »

Good afternoon.
Sorry for my bad english. I will try to explain.
There was a question about the speed of transmission through the SSH connection.
Initial data: 2 PCs with Windows OS are allocated for tests. First PC at the same network with the destination server (1 gbps speed), Second PC is my home PC (300 mbps).
The transfer was carried out through Total Commander with the standard Ghisler's plugin, as well as Putty. The results are the same on both PCs and both programs.
Data was transferred to the hetzner'a and ovh servers (Centos 7 OS). We simply call them “Destination Server”, since the speeds are identical.
In all cases, the outgoing speed of Windows -> Destination Server was approximately 500KB / s in TC.
In all cases, the outgoing speed of Windows -> Destination Server was approximately 500KB / s in pscp.exe (file transfer using Putty tool)
In all cases, the outgoing speed of Windows -> Destination Server was approximately 30-50MB / s in the FileZilla program (default settings).
In all cases, the outgoing speed of Windows -> Destination Server was approximately 10-20MB / s in WinSCP (default settings).
In all cases, the outgoing speed of Linux (VMWARE on Windows same PC's) -> Destination Server was approximately 30MB / s using the scp command.

Based on the information that I found, TC & Putty uses the libssh2 library, which, when transmitting data to each data block, waits for a response from the server about the successful receipt of this block and only then continues to transmit. Because of this, such a striking difference in speeds. FileZilla & WinSCP somehow solved this problem ...

But I would like to know the opinion of experts: what is the catch? Why are there such differences in data rates? And most importantly, what are the options for solving this problem? Because uploading large files at a speed of 500 KB / s (especially through a gigabit channel) is very difficult.
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Transfer speed with SSH plugin

Post by *CoolWater »

Please enable SCP option in connection settings window. SFTP is real slow because of the problem you described.

I am able to copy with rates up to 20-25 MB/s. But the plugin is able to do more ;-)

Regards
CoolWater
Atlantis

Post by *Atlantis »

CoolWater wrote: 2020-05-13, 16:11 UTC Please enable SCP option in connection settings window. SFTP is real slow because of the problem you described.

I am able to copy with rates up to 20-25 MB/s. But the plugin is able to do more ;-)

Regards
CoolWater
scp option is enabled, but no effect.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it's faster via OpenSSL? Try getting the SFTP plugin for XP here:
https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#filesys
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Atlantis

Post by *Atlantis »

2ghisler(Author)
Thank you for answer. I use Windows 7 on two PCs. I tried to install sftpplugxp.zip and then downloaded openssl-1.0.2q-x64_86-win64.zip and tested on x64 Windows 7, unfortunately still no effect to transfer speed. Speed at 500-700 KB/s and doesn't growed.
Atlantis

Post by *Atlantis »

Today i installed Windows 10 for the test and speed equals: 35MB/s, everything is fine.
But why in Windows 7 the speed is 500KB/s on 2 PCs, I don’t understand. Also i installed third fresh Windows 7 on virtual machine, and speed 500-1000 KB/s...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Did you use the plugin with openssl on Windows 10 or the one not requiring openssl?

I ask because the one not requiring openssl uses a Windows library - maybe Microsoft improved it?
It's also possible that a virus scanner slows down copying on Windows 7, but then other programs should be affected too...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Atlantis

Post by *Atlantis »

2ghisler(Author)
I used sftpplugxp.zip with latest openssl-1.0.2u-i386-win32.zip on Windows 10. Latest version of Putty also transfers file at 40MB/s.
I dont use antivirus or firewall while tested transfer speed.
Maybe Windows 7 use another library (old version) for transfer by ssh, which has improved on Windows 10?