Installed with settings in program app but users have separate settings?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

greentorch

Installed with settings in program app but users have separate settings?

Post by *greentorch »

Hello i have an issue, i have installed TC in default folder (c:/totalcmd) and while installing i have selected "program app" for settings and i have checked the checkbox to apply it to all users and accepted the elevated rights prompt after that while installing, but only my user (non admin) use the settings in the program folder, others users and admin user have their settings in %appdata%.
i have checked the ntfs permissions of the totalcmd folder and wincmd.ini and others users can read/ write in, so not sure what's going on. it don't seems to work as intended.
i'm using windows10, thank

edit, also i have another question, it is possible to configure it to use the settings in program app folders for all users except for one user which would use settings from %appdata% ?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Installed with settings in program app but users have separate settings?

Post by *Stefan2 »

For both questions the same answer.

On default, the wincmd.ini is located in "AppData\Ghisler\Total Commander" for every single user.
That's true if you do not install, but unpack and use (rename the tcmdxxx.exe to zip and unpack, unpack the cab inside, use TC).

If you use the installer (setup tcmdxxx.exe) and chose on Installation to have the wincmd.ini in program folder,
then this setting is written to the registry "HKCU\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander", something like:
InstallDir=C:\myTCfolder
FtpIniName=.\wcx_ftp.ini
IniFileName= .\wincmd.ini (((Option "Program directory", relative path to "InstallDir")))
IniFileName=%AppData%\Ghisler\wincmd.ini (((Option "Application Data")))
IniFileName=%UserProfile%\wincmd.ini (((Option "Documents and Settings")))
IniFileName=D:\rive\path to folder\wincmd.ini (((Option "User defined")))

The option "[X] Set this location for all users on this system" in the install dialog
will set the chosen option for all users to there HKCU key.

but only for the user who is performing the installation. < sorry, that's wrong, I have to test this again

Solution: have a wincmd.ini in the TC program folder and modify the INI
to let TC always use that single INI in the folder (no matter which user launch the TC from that folder)

Modify the wincmd.ini (you can check in "Help > About Total Commander... > Settings files" where they are located)
https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php?title=Ini-settings#Location
Screenshot > https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Backup

Or utilize menu "Configuration > Change Settings Files Directly" to open BOTH with Notepad.exe.
The Settings Files are wincmd.ini (main configuration) and wcx_ftp.ini (FTP settings).

If you had configured your TC already, and if the both INIs are not in the TC folder, move them both to the TC program folder.

In the wincmd.ini from the TC program folder, search in the [Configuration] -section
for the line "UseIniInProgramDir=" , you probably have to add that line.
Set that parameter to "7" >>> UseIniInProgramDir=7

Now TC use the ini in the TC folder (near the TOTALCMD(64).EXE).
See TC Help > Settings in the file wincmd.ini (Part 1)

You should delete the older, now superfluous INIs from the old location,
if you didn't had moved them in the step mentioned above.

You can delete “InstallDir=xxxxxxx” from wincmd.ini if existent.
You can also delete the registry keys "\Ghisler" if you use TC now portable.
HKLM\Software\Ghisler
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Ghisler
HKCU\Software\Ghisler
Else the next installation via tcmdxxx.exe will read that information and use that for an update installation.
(But you don't have to "install" Total Commander anyway, just rename the downloaded tcmdxxx.EXE to ZIP and unpack, unpack the CAB inside, use TC).

- - -

If you want to let TC work even more "portable",
you can use TCs' Pseudo environment variable, named %Commander_Path% from inside of TC.
See http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Navigation

Best have your needed tools in a sub folder of the TC folder
so you can use relative paths in the wincmd.ini.

If you had configured your TC already, then replace all absolute path in wincmd.ini like
X:\my\path\to\TotalCommander\plugins\wdx\DirSizeCalc\DirSizeCalc.wdx
with a relative path using %Commander_Path% variable
"%Commander_Path%\plugins\wdx\DirSizeCalc\DirSizeCalc.wdx"
--or even this if you have an TOOLs sub folder in your TC folder:
Viewer="TOOLs\Viewer\Viewer.exe"
Editor="TOOLs\NotePad2\notepad2.exe"

Now you can copy the whole TC folder to other PCs or to your Thump Drive or just for to backup.

greentorch

Re: Installed with settings in program app but users have separate settings?

Post by *greentorch »

Very helpful, thanks!!