Managing related files (JPEG and XML file pairs)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ackuxacky

Managing related files (JPEG and XML file pairs)

Post by *ackuxacky »

Dear users,
dear Christian,
dear devs,

can I set related files and expect to be managed at once and together? I describe the file case:

I program (Mylio) is creating a XML file (XMP extension) with edits and settings for each JPG image file instead of changing and manipulating the image file. I do not want to temper with the content of the XMP file, but wish to move, rename, copy and delete the JPG-XMP (optionally JPEG-XMP) pairs at once. So, the XMP files would be managed like shadows (or accompanying pairs) to the JPG (JPEG) files.

Thank you for your help or opinion, M
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Managing related files (JPEG and XML file pairs)

Post by *petermad »

This is not precisely what you ask for but might be of help to you:
Help wrote:Selecting files
You can also select related files. For example, you would want to select all RAW image files (.cr2), but only if there is a jpg file in the same directory. This can be done with the following selection string:
*.jpg>*.cr2
This also supports more complex naming schemes. For example, if the jpg file is named IMG_1057.JPG and the raw file CRW_1057.CR2, the selection string would have to be:
*.jpg>crw*.cr2
This is for selecting files via the dialog inwoked by pressing Num+ or using the cm_SpreadSelection command.

You can also use the command cm_SelectCurrentName to select all files with same name (without extension)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

Thank you, dear petermad. This particular related-file selection helps for selecting all those files, which were "touched" by the program and XMP has been created already. But I cannot imaging, how can it be used for renaming or moving specific files.

Well, a workaround for moving, copying and deleting is sorting the files by name and selecting the pairs after each other.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ell, a workaround for moving, copying and deleting is sorting the files by name and selecting the pairs after each other.
Or make a shortcut for Shift+Ins to the cm_SelectCurrentName command:

Code: Select all

[Shortcuts]
S+INS=cm_SelectCurrentName
Then press Shift+Ins on one of the paired files, and the other one will automatically be selected. This way you don't need to sort by name, to find the sibling.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

Well, that is quite something. At least for renaming a single photo, one by one, using multi-rename. Thank you.
petermad wrote: 2020-05-25, 01:38 UTC Or make a shortcut for Shift+Ins to the cm_SelectCurrentName command:

Code: Select all

[Shortcuts]
S+INS=cm_SelectCurrentName
Then press Shift+Ins on one of the paired files, and the other one will automatically be selected. This way you don't need to sort by name, to find the sibling.
But my original request (setting related files) may be already required by coders. There are plenty of programming languages, which requires identical source code filenames for some operations (C?, LaTeX, ...). Well, I hope that it'll be considered for implementation.