Latest version Everything does not generate directory tree

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vdijken

Latest version Everything does not generate directory tree

Post by *vdijken »

I installed the latest version of Everything (1.4.1.986) for win64. I use TC 64 bits latest version. Alt-F7 works fine to find files. On the bottom line I see that the search uses Everything. But when I want to see the directory tree with Everything the window stays empty (after I press F2). The database is up-to-date and I see files immediately when I start Everything as a separate program. And the service is also working. Without Everything the directory tree is generated but that takes a while. Restarting TC does not help. And I restarted the PC after installing Everything. When I try to read the directory tree the task manager does not show any extra activity. I did not change the settings. And I can look up directories (with Alt-F7) so they are in the database. It is not a timing problem. I used an USB-stick with 10 directories which also showed nothing.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Latest version Everything does not generate directory tree

Post by *Horst.Epp »

vdijken wrote: 2020-07-25, 11:28 UTC I installed the latest version of Everything (1.4.1.986) for win64. I use TC 64 bits latest version. Alt-F7 works fine to find files. On the bottom line I see that the search uses Everything. But when I want to see the directory tree with Everything the window stays empty (after I press F2). The database is up-to-date and I see files immediately when I start Everything as a separate program. And the service is also working. Without Everything the directory tree is generated but that takes a while. Restarting TC does not help. And I restarted the PC after installing Everything. When I try to read the directory tree the task manager does not show any extra activity. I did not change the settings. And I can look up directories (with Alt-F7) so they are in the database. It is not a timing problem. I used an USB-stick with 10 directories which also showed nothing.
Not confirmed here.
The tree for Alt-F10 is working perfectly with Everything enabled (81000 dirs).
Its only a matter of seconds to get the tree or Rescan the tree with Everything enabled.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2vdijken

Hi,
not confirmed under following conditions:

ALT+F10 Opens a dialog box with the current directory tree...
Window "Directory Tree": 'Everything'

'Everything': Menu Tools - Options...
[ ] Run as administrator
[X] Everything Service

CTRL-SHIFT+ESC -> Tab "Services": Everything -> status: running

If the USB stick is not NTFS formatted, the drive letter should have be defined as follows in the 'Everything' options:
'Everything': Menu Tools - Options... Indexes -> Folders: ... e.g. G:\

Which Windows version do you use?
It is recommended that you always give precise details of the versions used (also applies to "latest version").

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)
TC 9.51 x64/x86 | 'Everything'-Version 1.4.1.986 (x64) - Public release
☑ 'Everything' | Search queries: TC <=> 'Everything'
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

Windows 10; Winver 2004 19041.388. TC(x64) 9.51. It worked with previous version of Everything. Service Everything is active. All conditions "tuska" named are in place. I used again - after a restart of my PC - Alt+F10 and saw a bar with something like "please wait; Everything is busy to build database". And then it keeps quit. And when I insert an USB stick the content of Everything changes on the fly and the content of the USB stick is visible in Everything; so that is not a problem; I see the directories of the stick in the Everything overview. There is one instance of everything.exe so it is not reinstalled elsewhere. And I don't see anything suspicious in the windows logging....
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

I used autostart from sysinternals and I saw a double entry of Everything. I removed one, restarted the PC and now it works again. I wonder what Everything does with the registry when it is installed. Close subject please.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod="Hacker"]Moved to the English forum.[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

I saw similar problems reported on the Everything forum and already today there is a new version which works fine as far as I can see.
menes

Post by *menes »

I also experience this problem. Everything (Version 1.4.1.988 (x64)) is installed, runs as service, the normal search uses it and works blazingly fast however the directory tree is not working. If "Everything" is checked it appears empty and "Rescan tree" does nothing.

Am I missing something?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

menes: Note: you have to enable indexing of folders at Everything first!
(Tools - Options: Indexes - [x] Index folder size )
#5767 Personal license
menes

Post by *menes »

sqa_wizard wrote: 2020-08-08, 18:09 UTC menes: Note: you have to enable indexing of folders at Everything first!
(Tools - Options: Indexes - [x] Index folder size )
Ι did it and I even rebuilt the db, no luck, it still does nothing
menes

Post by *menes »

I found it!

I have enabled "run as administrator" in the shortcut. If I execute totalcmd directly from the installation folder or uncheck the run as administrator from the shortcut properties, the directory tree using everything works like expected.

(edit)
I did another test, I executed totalcmd normally and used admin privileges when asked when I tried to navigate to a folder required it and directory tree worked also fine.

I have everything run as service, why this behavior? Why if start totalcmd as admin it doesn't work but when run normally, even if give admin privileges on demand, works correctly?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm that if I run TC as Admin and do NOT run 'Everything' as admin, then the Directory tree (Alt+F10) does not work with 'Everything' turned on.
'Everything' still works fine for calculating folder sizes in the file panels and for Searching in TC.

Testet with TC 9.51 x64 on Windows 7 with 'Everything' v. 1.4.1.988 (x64) installed as service
Last edited by petermad on 2020-08-15, 15:22 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

petermad wrote: 2020-08-15, 10:02 UTC I can confirm that if I run TC as Admin and do NOT run 'Everything' as admin, then the Directory tree (Alt+F10) does not work with 'Everything' turned on.
'Everything' still works fine for calculating folder sizes in the file panels and for Searching.

Testet with TC 9.51 x64 on Windows 7 with 'Everything' v. 1.4.1.988 (x64) installed as service
That is caused by user interface privilege isolation (UIPI), causing programs running as a regular user not being allowed to "communicate" with applications that run elevated.
I tested this with UIPI temporarily disabled globally (just for the test; not recommended) and the Directory tree is shown again.

For this to work without disabling UIPI, changes have to be made to the Total Commander code.
(The query was sent to, received by and processed by Everything, but Everything is not allowed to "communicate" the results back)
In other words: it's a bug in TC.

Everything 1.4.1.988 (x64) ; TC (x64) 9.50B7 @ Win10 1909
(Also tested with a couple of other Everything versions)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not a bug, I don't allow incoming messages from lower level processes to elevated TC because it would be a huge security risk.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

Well then ...

The easiest workaround for all that is the following:
  • Make sure the path to your Everything.exe is corret in your WINCMD.INI:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
    Everything=c:\path to\Everything.exe
  • Completely exit Everything: right-click the Everything icon in the systemtray and choose Exit
  • In Total Commander, press ALT + F10
As Everything isn't running, TC will now start Everything (that is why the correct INI setting is important).
This will cause Everything to be a child-process of TC and thus be running elevated too.

• When done, completely exit Everything
(You don't want your regular Everything running elevated as that will likely cause unexpected results with shell integration functionality and with mapped network shares)