Syncing Directories with renamed folders: check content, not folder name?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BabyDuck

Syncing Directories with renamed folders: check content, not folder name?

Post by *BabyDuck »

Hello,

First post. I have been using TC for a while now and it is a great programme. My query is related to the sync of directories.

I have folders on my laptop which I regularly sync with external hard disk. Sometimes, some folders on the laptop are renamed for some reason. When I try to sync these directories, TC thinks that existing folder has been deleted and a new folder needs to be created. This becomes an issue when there are a lot of files and folders under renamed folder.

How can force TC to check content of the directory and it contents/files match then just rename the folder and be done with it?

Thanks
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Syncing Directories

Post by *Dalai »

BabyDuck wrote: 2020-09-20, 11:48 UTCHow can force TC to check content of the directory and it contents/files match then just rename the folder and be done with it?
There is no way to do such a thing in TC, and I also don't know of any other software with such a "fuzzy" comparison.

It's also not as easy as you might think. What if multiple directories contain the same (or at least similar) files? Which one should be considered as "renamed" and used for comparison?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
isidro

Re: Syncing Directories

Post by *isidro »

Maybe you can try with AntiTwin program to search for duplicates by content, which will help you spot identical files in different directories.