Unicode programming tip

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Blight

Unicode programming tip

Post by *Blight »

Since I've recently rewrote lots of code to support unicode in my own application, I know what a pain it can be.

However, after many-asearching, I've found these helpfull components to ease the proccess, you may want to take a peek:
http://home.ccci.org/wolbrink/tnt/delphi_unicode_controls.htm
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, but I cannot use them: "Works with Delphi 5/6/7.". I'm still using Delphi 2 (although I have bought Delphi 7) for TC because it creates the smallest and fastest code of all Delphi versions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Blight

Post by *Blight »

Smallest, yes. Fastest... doubt it.

D7 has a better optimizer and you use lower-level WinAPI code for most of the system functions. Might take 500k more memory, but D7 has a lot of interesting stuff in it compared to D2, things that make programming easier/faster.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian, how about compiling the exe under D7 just for us to see the difference? Possible?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Blight wrote:Smallest, yes. Fastest... doubt it.

D7 has a better optimizer and you use lower-level WinAPI code for most of the system functions. Might take 500k more memory, but D7 has a lot of interesting stuff in it compared to D2, things that make programming easier/faster.
I think Christian meant the size of the executable rather than memory usage. I don't have any experience with Delphi but this "feature" is quite known in any compiler. For example if I compile some of my programs with a different version of MinGW sizes can differ up to 25%; Now, if this is the case than I would rather have TC at ~1.4mb and not ~3mb.

As to the ["Fastest"] comment; I doubt it speed improvements will be perceptible because AFAIK most CPU/IO hungry operations in TC can't really be improved by it, and other types aren't noticeable.

Cheers.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hacker wrote:how about compiling the exe under D7 just for us to see the difference?
Would be possible, but I made some changes to the VCL (class library), e.g. to support XP themes, so the result would probably not work 100% correctly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Blight

Post by *Blight »

I think this is a step you'll have to take eventually as more and more machines move to XP, unicode filenames and directories wil spread. There are already a few glitches in TC with this regard.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Would be possible, but I made some changes to the VCL (class library), e.g. to support XP themes, so the result would probably not work 100% correctly.

I think that'd be fine... I'd just like to be able to see the difference.

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.