Request: SFTP in background

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MarkFilipak

Request: SFTP in background

Post by *MarkFilipak »

UPDATE: Save your time and jump to here: viewtopic.php?p=393725#p393725

I just can't live with TC tied up for hours while it does SFTP.

Can that be enabled for background transfers (separate thread?) sometime in the future?

Regards, Be Healthy,
Mark.
Last edited by MarkFilipak on 2020-10-29, 18:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hi Christian! Delighted customer since 1999. License #37627
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Request: SFTP in background

Post by *Dalai »

Just press F2 instead of Enter in the copy dialog. Or check "Download in background (separate thread)" option.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

Dalai wrote: 2020-10-28, 20:06 UTC Just press F2 instead of Enter in the copy dialog. Or check "Download in background (separate thread)" option.
Thanks, Dalai, I'll look for it next time. Pity there's no [Background] button in the transfer status box. Oh, well.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Yeah, sometimes I miss it too, it would be nice to have an option for TC to silently start FS every operation as a background one (if plugin supports that) but with foreground progress dialog with Background button (so it would already be a background operation for plugin), or to set default state of "Download in background" checkbox.
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

UPDATE:
Via F5, I get a "background" choice. Via drag-n-drop, no choice.

Christian,

Could you make background the default, and put the background status in an ordinary window? I have a UHD display and the background transfer status is squashed and unreadable. Thanks!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Not sure what I'm doing differently, but I'm getting the exact same copy dialog regardless of using F5 or Drag'n'Drop. And this dialog includes a background transfer option. I suggest to try with a fresh wincmd.ini:

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i="%temp%\fresh.ini"
(requires "reinstallation" of SFTP plugin).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

Dalai wrote: 2020-10-29, 18:57 UTC Not sure what I'm doing differently, but I'm getting the exact same copy dialog regardless of using F5 or Drag'n'Drop.
With drag-n-drop (from one panel to the other), I get NO dialog, the copy begins immediately.

I didn't understand the rest of your reply. I don't use an 'ini' and I don't know what it's doing in %temp%.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

MarkFilipak wrote: 2020-10-29, 21:26 UTCI didn't understand the rest of your reply.
That I can help with (hopefully).
I don't use an 'ini'
Yes, you do. Or rather, every TC does use an INI file, usually named wincmd.ini. The location is set when installing TC. It can be changed afterwards and in different ways, but that's not important here.
[...] and I don't know what it's doing in %temp%.
Simple: The command I posted tells TC to use exactly that file instead of any other file specified anywhere else, i.e. it overrides locations specified in the Registry, in %COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd.ini and so on. It's a simple and very effective method to rule out any settings changed by a user, especially when dealing with bug reports. And the best part is: nothing is changed in the wincmd.ini that's usually used, meaning that when TC is started the usual way again (Windows start menu, Windows desktop, command line, etc), it's the same way it was before.

So, to rule out anything you set in the wincmd.ini file you usually use, try the command above, reinstall the plugin (can be added via TC's Plugins section in the Options) and try again.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

@Delai,

I know you're laying all the parts out in front of me, but they're not going together to make a Ferrari, at least not in my mind.

I submitted

CD %temp%
and wound up here: c:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
There's no 'ini' there. There's certainly no 'fresh.ini' there.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

That there is no INI file (yet) in %temp% is intentional. If TC doesn't find the specified INI file, TC creates and uses a "fresh" one with default settings at the given directory (%temp%) with the given name (fresh.ini) without touching your normal INI file. This way, you can quickly start TC with default settings while not touching or altering your normal INI file. After concluding testing with the "fresh" INI file, you can switch back to your normal INI file by simply closing TC and starting it normally without the /I=... commandline parameter.
MarkFilipak

Post by *MarkFilipak »

My sincerest apology...

The drag-n-drop operation does indeed open a dialog that includes the background option. I guess I've become so automatic at acknowledging that dialog that I didn't notice. Forgive me.

I'd still like it to default to background.

We now resume our regularly scheduled program.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Yes, I should have added that TC creates non-existing INI files when using the /i switch. Sorry, I missed that.

Not sure if it helps or even applies to transfers from/to file-system plugins, but there's a switch to make all transfers go to the background:

AlwaysCopyInBackground=0
1: Total Commander always copies in the background
2: Always use background transfer manager
See help section 4.b for more information. Perhaps try a value of 2 and see what happens. Note that, when you enable this feature, all transfers are done in the background including ones from disk to disk.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence