Renaming - Placement of Cursor - General Approach

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

NYCguy

Renaming - Placement of Cursor - General Approach

Post by *NYCguy »

Hello.

I have the following project. I have many files in one directory, on the left. They are music files. I am moving them each, one at a time, to a new directory that I create on the right (sometimes the directory already exists, and I don't have to create it). After doing so, what I do now is I click gently on the file (not so gently that nothing happens, not so hard that it launches Windows Media Player to play them) so as to rename each file. Each file has an m4a extension. The extension is showing. Currently, I have to position the cursor just at the right spot on the filename, and then highlight the non-extension part of the filename, put new characters in, and then hit ENTER to save.

Lots of steps. Lots of files. Several questions:

1) Is there a setting I couldn't find that would automatically place the cursor right before the extension, so that at least I don't have to fiddle with that part of this process?

2) There has to be a better way of doing what I am doing. Is there a better way?

Thank you.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Renaming - Placement of Cursor - General Approach

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Configuration / Operation
Click "Select only the filename when renaming (not the extension)"
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
NYCguy

Post by *NYCguy »

Thank you. I missed that. Any thoughts on the overall process, or I just have to go through all my steps?
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Have you tried the Multi-Rename Tool - https://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Multi-rename_tool ?
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
alphonse68

Post by *alphonse68 »

A couple of thought for the individual renaming:

Once you have the filename "open" for renaming, press the right arrow and the cursor will move to the end of the name, right before the period.

Once you finish renaming or modifying its name (and before you press Enter), move to the next file using the up or down arrow keys; if the next file to rename is the nth file down, for example, just press the down arrow three times to edit that name. I do that when I am going to paste the same "ending" to each filename.

HTH
Cheers.