massive file/folder copy is there a estimate free space feature?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

giulia

massive file/folder copy is there a estimate free space feature?

Post by *giulia »

Hi

yesterday i had to copy a massive folder/files , but i have noticed that there is no an estimate free space feature

I mean tc did the task , but today I wanted to do a test ,I tried to copy 400gb folder/files and files to a small partition 200GB

Tc did not warn me about there is no enough space

I read the help file looking for estimate free space , i haven't found it :(

thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: massive file/folder copy is there a estimate free space feature?

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

First, switch to "Full view" in your source file panel (CTRL+F2), so that the "Size" column is being shown.

In the file panel with the files and directories you want to copy (the source file panel), press SHIFT+ALT+ENTER.
TC will then calculate the size of the files in the directories in the source panel (and show this accumulated size in the "Size" column). Depending on the number of files in the directories, this can take some time. While TC is adding the sizes of the files in the directories, it will show a "?" in the "Size" column of those directories.

After TC has finished with summing the sizes of the files in the directories (no more "?" left in the "Size" column) [*], you can then select the directories, and any other files too, if desired.

The total size of the selection (in the status line at the bottom of the fle panel) will now also include the accumulated sizes of the files in the directories.

However, you don't necessarily need to wait for TC to finish its job before selecting the directories (and other files). You can also already select the directories (and other files) while TC is still calculating the directory sizes. While TC is still doing it, you will notice that the total size of the selection in the panel status line is being updated constantly. The status line also features a "?" symbol, indicating that the directory size calculation is still in progress. This is useful if you don't have the "Full View" mode active and want/need to get feedback about whether TC is already finished or still busy with summing file sizes in directories.

There will be still no warning when you attempt to copy, though (or i haven't found the switch to enable such a feature, yet). You will have to manually check if the size of the selection is smaller than the free space in the target drive/volume before starting the copy operation.

P.S.: For other handy keyboard shortcuts and functions, take a peek into TC's help (open it with F1). A list of the standard keyboard shortcuts can be found in the help in "Contents" --> "Operation" --> "Keyboard layout".

[*] That's the reason why i told you to switch to "Full view". While this view mode is not strictly necessary for anything i explained to work, it might be easier to observe the progress of the directory size calculations in this view mode...
Last edited by gdpr deleted 6 on 2021-01-16, 21:37 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

elgonzo wrote: 2021-01-16, 20:57 UTCIn the file panel with the files and directories you want to copy (the source file panel), press SHIFT+ALT+TAB.
Shift+Alt+Enter.
There will be still no warning when you attempt to copy, though (or i haven't found the switch to enable such a feature, yet).
AFAIK TC doesn't have such feature.
You will have to manually check if the size of the selection is smaller than the free space in the target drive/volume before starting the copy operation.
Or even during the copy operation. TC also calculates the accumulated size (and number) of all files that are to be copied right before the actual copy operation starts. And if that calculation isn't cancelled by pressing ESC, these sums are shown in the copy dialog. It still requires manual checking, but it's possible to abort an ongoing copy operation.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Dalai wrote: 2021-01-16, 21:33 UTC Shift+Alt+Enter.
Oops! Yes, of course. Must have been a brain fart. (Edited my post now...)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Yo can also press Crtr+L (or Menu -> Files -> Calculate Occupíed Space) to have the size of the selected files/directories shown in a dialog box.

This dialog shows:
1. The actual space occupied, and the number of selected files and directories (including subdiretories) .
2. The actual space occupied considering cluster size on the source drive.
3. The required space on the target drive (also considering cluster size).
4. The amount of free space on the source and the target drive.

https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/selectedsizes.png

Note: Using Ctrl+L takes longer time than using Shift+Alt+Enter.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
giulia

Post by *giulia »

hi to all
but this is must have feature , could be changed as request?

thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I don't think this is a must-have feature, at least not for everyone. I've never missed it so far. But it's definitely a "nice to have" feature.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

It would be complicated to realize such a feature in case of existing colliding files in the destination drive.
What if you decide later on to overwrite large files in the destination with smaller files, or not to overwrite small files with large files?

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again