Delete dialog-Enter key behavior has changed

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

K201902

Delete dialog-Enter key behavior has changed

Post by *K201902 »

Hi!
Strange thing's started to happen recently.

Situation:
I want to permanently delete a folder which is not empty.
I press Shift+Delete.
Dialog appears: "Permanently delete Do you really want to delete the selected directory TESTFOLDER?"
I used to press Enter to continue, but it doesn't work now. Now I have to press "Y" (for Yes).
Dialog appears: "The directory X:\TESTFOLDER is not empty!
Do you want to delete it with all its files and subdirectories?
Delete All Skip Cancel"
I used to press Enter or Right Arrow (cursor keys) then Enter. It doesn't work anymore. Now I have to press "D" for Delete or "A" for All.

To make things stranger, I have just run some unrelated test on another temporary Win10 installation on the same PC (temp HDD replacement). To help my work, I installed TC (version 9.50, like the one I use on my regular PC) and to easy my workflow, I used the same wincmd.ini that I use on my regular PC. This installation of TC worked just as my regular one before (I could press Enter at "Permanently delete" dialogue).

Any ideas how to correct this behavior, pls?

Best regards :-)
K
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Delete dialog-Enter key behavior has changed

Post by *sqa_wizard »

This behavior may happen if the focus is set away from the dialog somehow.
Do you have installed an app by chance which sets the focus to the window under the mouse cursor?
#5767 Personal license
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

sqa_wizard wrote: 2021-01-24, 21:39 UTC This behavior may happen if the focus is set away from the dialog somehow.
Do you have installed an app by chance which sets the focus to the window under the mouse cursor?
No, if that were the case then "Y", "A" or "D" keys wouldn't work either.

To me, this sounds more like the "ALT key got stuck". With the ALT key stuck, dialogs will still respond to the accelerator keys, but not to ALT+ENTER or ALT+Curosr keys.

By saying "the ALT key getting stuck" i do not mean specifically a hardware problem with the keyboard. If that were the case, you wouldn't be able to use TC and many other applications in a meaningful way.

I rather suspect this is either some 3rd-party software component on your primary Win10 installation that messes with keyboard input events in a way that either (intentionally or unintentionally) suppresses ALT key release events or for reasons unbeknownst to me send ALT key press events to applications dialogs (such as TC's application dialogs) without accompanying it with a ALT key release event.

Or maybe there is some accessibility setting in Windows that, when enabled, automatically and virtually holds the ALT key down when dialogs are opened? (I don't know much about the accessibility stuff in Windows, though...)
K201902

Post by *K201902 »

Hi and thanks for both replies!
You've got it right! I toy with AutoHotkey and have some scripts running at all time. I am not sure which one it is yet, but when I killed them all, the keys in TC started to respond as they should!
Thank you very much!!
:)
K