Speed up / optimize JPEG thumbnail creation?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gewone

Speed up / optimize JPEG thumbnail creation?

Post by *gewone »

Hi!

This has been bugging me for ages. I have directories with tons of photos. When I'm into Thumbnail View (CTRL+SHIFT+F1), it generates thumbnails for the thumbs visible on screen, so I have to wait, then slowly scroll down a bit, and then it starts creating it for that "screenful" of photos, etcetera. Is this "expected" behavior? I would _at least_ make it create thumbs for the entire directory even though I haven't scrolled down just yet, best thing would be if could type some command that would create these thumbs for folders (and happily entire subfolder hierarchy) without me being present at the time. Shouldn't this be possible?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Speed up / optimize JPEG thumbnail creation?

Post by *petermad »

Maybe these settings for wincmd.ini can help you:
Help wrote:PreloadThumbnails=1 1: Loads thumbnail images already when opening a dir, not only when scrolling to that line.
2: Same as 1, but also in branch view
3: Preload just the next two lines below the visible thumbnails
0: Disabled, load thumbnails only when they scroll into view

ThumbnailMemoryLimit=500 Specifies the number of thumbnails per panel cached in memory (default: 200 in Win9x, 500 on NT/2000/XP, minimum: 100).

ThumbnailPrealloc=100000 Sets number of bytes to pre-allocate when creating the thumbnails database to avoid fragmentation. The thumbnail database is an OLE compound document similar to a Word .doc file. Without preallocating memory at creation time, such files would become terribly fragmented especially on NTFS disks.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Speed up / optimize JPEG thumbnail creation?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Some Lister plugins can also be quite slow, for example ulister. You can exclude *.jpg in Configuration - Options - Thumbnails for plugins with this string:
*.* | *.jpg
Then the Explorer method will be used.

Also TC 10 beta will try to use a thumbnail stored inside the jpg, which is often the case for jpg images from cameras and mobile phones.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com