Continuous beeping from monitor when TC maximized with default colors

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MariusP

Continuous beeping from monitor when TC maximized with default colors

Post by *MariusP »

Weird issue that doesn't make sense..

My monitor makes a disturbing continuous sharp beeping sound when the Total Commander window takes more than 25% of the screen and the application uses default color settings (black text on white background).

I have no idea what could be causing it, only posting on this forum about it since the issue isn't reproduced with any other application, either Windows's own or installed by me. Reinstalling Total Commander also doesn't do anything.

If I change the colors to use less white, the beeping sound disappears - then again, no other all-white application on my PC causes the beeping.

I'm assuming my monitor is damaged in some way, but why is the damage only showing up with Total Commander?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Continuous beeping from monitor when TC maximized with default colors

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe there are too many sharp edges?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

MariusP wrote: 2021-04-01, 09:52 UTC ... sharp beeping sound ...
Hi there.

What kind of beeping is that? Is it more an shorter peep peep peep or more like one long single peeeeeeep?

Do the sound change if you resize the TC window?
Since it is an orthodox two-panel filemanger, the windows must be wider(broader) than high (upright),
else the acoustic experiences you faces is no wonder as the bits and bytes are clinched than.

sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Since it is an orthodox two-panel filemanger, the windows must be wider(broader) than high (upright),
else the acoustic experiences you faces is no wonder as the bits and bytes are clinched than.
Well done ... a wonderful 1a
#5767 Personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2MariusP

Have you tried changing the Date of your computer? What sound do you hear if you change the date to 25th of December - does it sound more like bells then?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MariusP

Post by *MariusP »

Stefan2 wrote: 2021-04-01, 15:07 UTC
MariusP wrote: 2021-04-01, 09:52 UTC ... sharp beeping sound ...
Hi there.

What kind of beeping is that? Is it more an shorter peep peep peep or more like one long single peeeeeeep?

Do the sound change if you resize the TC window?
Continuous beep.

Sound changes as I resize the TC window - I can vary its volume by making the TC window larger.
MariusP

Post by *MariusP »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-04-01, 14:31 UTC Maybe there are too many sharp edges?
I'm certain the problem is with the monitor (relatively old), probably damaged in some way, and only some specific quirk related to the way TC displays white color makes it emit that sound.

Just thought maybe someone else had a similar problem at some point, or could think what makes the TC window (in default color scheme, no beeping if I change background color to black) particularly able to elicit this kind of noise from a damaged monitor when no other windows with full white background can reproduce it.

I can open a completely empty text document, webpage, or white image and set them full screen, and the monitor is silent, but switch to TC and it shrieks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why are people still discussing this? Doesn't anyone see the date of the first post? Seems like people don't get my joke either because there were no emojis... :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I actually don't think this was an April Fools joke :D

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, I saw the date. And I got your joke.
But I could not definitely rule OP's message as a joke. I have seen (heard) monitors buzzing with different tones depending on the major color on the screen. And I even have one notebook buzzing or almost squeaking with different tones depending on how fast I move the mouse cursor.
Hardware is sometimes weird...
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

MariusP wrote: 2021-04-19, 06:01 UTC I'm certain the problem is with the monitor (relatively old),
Relatively or very old? Making similar noise is normal for dying CRT monitors. Sometimes lowering refresh rate helped in such cases.
It's a hardware problem, in the past there was even some malware which could damage a monitor flashing with white screen.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
MariusP

Post by *MariusP »

Usher wrote: 2021-04-19, 20:44 UTC Relatively or very old? Making similar noise is normal for dying CRT monitors. Sometimes lowering refresh rate helped in such cases.
It's a hardware problem, in the past there was even some malware which could damage a monitor flashing with white screen.
It's not *that* old - it's an LCD from some years ago, a Samsung SyncMaster P2370.
MariusP

Post by *MariusP »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-04-19, 07:22 UTC Why are people still discussing this? Doesn't anyone see the date of the first post? Seems like people don't get my joke either because there were no emojis... :(
I didn't notice the date when I first posted this thread, or I would've waited a day to avoid the assumption that this is a joke - it's not a joke and the problem is still reproducible, though I got used to it.

Still just buzzing for TC on default color settings and no other app.
MariusP

Post by *MariusP »

Hacker wrote: 2021-04-19, 10:54 UTC I actually don't think this was an April Fools joke :D

Roman
It wasn't, didn't notice the date when I posted.
MariusP

Post by *MariusP »

umbra wrote: 2021-04-19, 11:50 UTC 2ghisler(Author)
Yes, I saw the date. And I got your joke.
But I could not definitely rule OP's message as a joke. I have seen (heard) monitors buzzing with different tones depending on the major color on the screen. And I even have one notebook buzzing or almost squeaking with different tones depending on how fast I move the mouse cursor.
Hardware is sometimes weird...
Hardware is indeed weird sometimes.