Cloud Plugin not copying files properly if files are named the same

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

user55

Cloud Plugin not copying files properly if files are named the same

Post by *user55 »

Hi,

Thanks for the great product in Total Commander! I was using the Cloud plugin which is useful for me as I did not want to install Google Drive software in order to just copy files. But I noticed an issue and not sure if this is issue with TC and/or the Cloud plugin. (Using TC 9.50)

The situation is where I have a file with the same filename in one of the Google drive folders. I did not create this folder, this was just a folder shared to me. For example:

Files inside one folder in Google drive and its filesize
-- File1.doc 1 MB
-- File1.doc 0.5 MB
-- File1.doc 3 MB
-- FIle1.doc 0.2 MB
-- File1.doc 20 MB

Google drive allows a file with same file name to be uploaded for some reason.

So - I needed to copy this folder and these different sized files (which I know are different, but somehow the user named the same). When TC gets to the second file, it detects the same file on my local drive, it asks if I should Overwrite / Rename / Skip / etc. So I rename it to "File1-2.doc", then when asked again rename it to "File1-3.doc" etc

Now, the strange thing is on the local drive, here is what the file sizes are:

Files copied in one folder on local drive and its filesize (which should be a copy of the folder in Google drive, also )
-- File1.doc 1 MB
-- File1-2.doc 0.5 MB
-- File1-3.doc 0.5 MB
-- FIle1-4.doc 0.5 MB
-- File1-5.doc 0.5 MB

So - I think to myself, maybe it is having problem in this situation, I'll just copy this manually. So I highlight the 3rd File1.doc on the Google folder pane, and copy. Then rename appropriately. But it *still* copied the 2nd File1.doc which is 0.5 MB.

I guess the TC + Cloud plugin is confused by this situation. Hope you can fix this someday. Also I'm new to forum so if I posted to wrong group, feel free to move this post.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cloud Plugin not copying files properly if files are named the same

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is that TC recognizes files by their name, so when you tell it to copy File1.doc, it cannot know which of the same name files is meant. Therefore it would always copy the first.

Try renaming the files one by one on the server (via plugin), then you can copy them.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
user55

Post by *user55 »

Thank you, that worked 👍

EDIT:
Sorry I spoke too soon. What really worked for me is I opened Google Drive folder in web browser and did my renaming from there. Then I copied over the files using TC + Cloud plugin.

If I try renaming a duplicate file in TC, it looks as if TC is doing something, but after a few seconds the filename is still the same.

This workaround will work for me though. I think it is Google who should not allow duplicate filenames in the first place, although I can think of some situations where that might be useful.

Appreciate the suggestion though. Have a good one!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This should work, do you see any error in the log?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com