Bug: TC writes thumbnail cache but never uses it

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bug: TC writes thumbnail cache but never uses it

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I cannot reproduce that, the cache is used. The question is whether the thumbnails for these files are cached or not.The cache does not work in
- virtual folders
- folders containing some special characters, which are not supported in compound documents

Also thumbnails are not cached when extracting them takes a very short time.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
- virtual folders
- folders containing some special characters, which are not supported in compound documents
Neither.
Also thumbnails are not cached when extracting them takes a very short time.
What is that time, please? I think I remember it being 0,5 seconds but if that would indeed be the case, that is too long.

With the new JPG thumbnail loading from EXIF, I get about 0,04 s per thumbnail, which is really fast.
Now imagine if I have to wait 0,4 s for video thumbnails, that is ten times slower and feels really frustrating, especially if it could be cached.

Could the delay be made configurable?

Thank you
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The limit is 50 milliseconds. Maybe some virus scanner is slowing down the loading from tcthumbs.db/tcthumbs.idb?

Btw, you can check with the plugin wcx_storage whether a specific image is stored in tcthumbs.db:
http://totalcmd.net/plugring/wcx_storage.html
You will need to open it with Ctrl+PageDown.
Some notes about the format:
1. The entry "Dimensions" in the root contains the width and height of the stored thumbnails.
2. The directories are stored in the form drive letter\directory\file name
3. Due to a limitation of the compound file format, If a file name is longer than 31 characters, it is split into multiple nested entries. Each part starts with a question mark. For example, the name
f:\images\20210601_test file with long name.jpg
is stored as
f\images\?20210601_test file with long n\ame.jpg
4. Thumbnails of folders are stored with a question mark at the end, so both the folder and its thumbnail can be stored.
5. Each entry is just 8 bytes long, 4 is the offset in the file tcthumbs.idb, and 4 is the length.
6 The file tcthumbs.idb contains at that offset the entry length, a signature, some flags, the file timestamp, and the compressed image data.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com