request keeping selecting files/folders

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

giulia

request keeping selecting files/folders

Post by *giulia »

Hi

really love tc , rock solid program

but selecting files from a folder , and others files from another folder and folder sometime is a nightmare

just because for example I select 6 root folders , and after i want to select some files and subfolders inside another root folder , well I lost the previous selection ! :oops:

would be really great , useful and helpful keeping selecting , maybe with a button that we can turn on or off

"Keeping selecting" , mean tc can keep all the files folder and subfolder i select , and copy in only 1 step

could be used save selection too

it will speed up a lot many tasks

could be added soon maybe in a beta version ? Yesterday i had to copy a bunch of files , i had to skip tc , for a freeware file manager

thanks
love Total Commander , best file manager ever made
Hacker

Re: request keeping selecting files/folders

Post by *Hacker »

giulia,
This is difficult to do. Imagine you select 6 root folders, then go inside another root folder and see a temporary file you don't need. You delete it. But now you realize you also deleted the 6 root folders. Users of TC which use it for 20+ years and are used to automatic selection removal would be very angry. You would need some place on screen to keep showing the selected root folders (or any other selection) to remind the user that whatever action he does will be also performed for these previously selected files / folders. So this is currently by design.

Perhaps you can use a plugin like VirtualPanel?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
giulia

Post by *giulia »

Hacker wrote: 2021-06-02, 07:34 UTC giulia,
This is difficult to do. Imagine you select 6 root folders, then go inside another root folder and see a temporary file you don't need. You delete it. But now you realize you also deleted the 6 root folders. Users of TC which use it for 20+ years and are used to automatic selection removal would be very angry. You would need some place on screen to keep showing the selected root folders (or any other selection) to remind the user that whatever action he does will be also performed for these previously selected files / folders. So this is currently by design.

Perhaps you can use a plugin like VirtualPanel?

Roman
Hi Roman
ok , but other file manager can do it , never had any issue
thanks
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

giulia,
And how do they do it? I quickly checked Explorer and it does not seem to do it.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hacker wrote: 2021-06-02, 14:09 UTC giulia,
And how do they do it? I quickly checked Explorer and it does not seem to do it.

Roman
On is XYplorer.
It has Paper folders which is a much better version of TCs VirtualPanel.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
giulia

Post by *giulia »

Hacker wrote: 2021-06-02, 14:09 UTC giulia,

Roman
Hi
i have used xplorer² using tags
color tags could be very useful , and the file manager could keep the folders structure
there is a freeversion of x y explorer , version 17 (i guess) it support the labels
and there is Tablacus Explorer with label - tags
tc should add labels , many freeware do it
it's the most easy way to make selection between folders , better than comment , seeing you can use different colors or words very quickly