Attribute "archive" not set for files inside when folders are moved/renamed

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

krzysiobal

Attribute "archive" not set for files inside when folders are moved/renamed

Post by *krzysiobal »

No idea if this is fixed/solved in new TC, but for 7.55 i don't see a solution:
The attribute "archive" is useful for backup tools to determine if the file was changed (or created) since last backup, so that it will be included in the next differential backup and then cleared by the backup tool.

When you rename/move/copy single or multiple files in TC, this attribute is correctly set for the new files. But when you move (or rename) a folder, "archive" attribute is not set for all files inside it and so when a backup will be done, this "new old folder" folder will not be included in the backup.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Attribute "archive" not set for files inside when folders are moved/renamed

Post by *Horst.Epp »

You registered today to report problems for version 7.55, what a joke.
No other file manager not even Windows Explorer does set the archive attribute in your case.
Your account will be watched, be warned.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2krzysiobal
If you move folders between drives or partitions, then the archive attribute is set for all files in that folder. If you move folders/files within the same drive/partition, then the archive atrtributes are left untouched. This is the same in Windows Explorer, and has always been like that.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

petermad wrote: 2021-06-06, 17:50 UTC ... If you move folders/files within the same drive/partition, then the archive atrtributes are left untouched. ...
A small correction: When moving only files themselves, the attribute is set, both in TC, Explorer and CMD. But yes, when moving whole folders, it's left untouched. TC just follows the norm here.

2Horst.Epp
Bad day? Also, you might be surprised how many people out there use TC 7.55 and don't even think about updating it. Because it works just fine for them.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
krzysiobal

Post by *krzysiobal »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2021-06-06, 17:04 UTC You registered today to report problems for version 7.55, what a joke.
I am not doing updates just for the sake of update, if it suits all my needs. I searched forum for similar topic and did not found any so thought the newest version will share the same bug/feature.

I registered today because you can't post without registration. And this today started to drive me crazy.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2021-06-06, 17:04 UTC Your account will be watched, be warned.
No worries, as fast as I get satysfying answer I will delete my account.

petermad wrote: 2021-06-06, 17:50 UTC 2krzysiobal
If you move folders between drives or partitions, then the archive attribute is set for all files in that folder. If you move folders/files within the same drive/partition, then the archive atrtributes are left untouched. This is the same in Windows Explorer, and has always been like that.
First, this is not true - if you move folder in Windows explorer (Win XP, no idea how newest behaves), all moved files get the archive attribute set, even if you do it on the same partition.

Second, also not true - if you move a single or multiple files file using TC, but not the full folders, they all get archive attribute set. Weird inconsistency.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

krzysiobal wrote: 2021-06-06, 18:11 UTC First, this is not true - if you move folder in Windows explorer (Win XP, no idea how newest behaves), all moved files get the archive attribute set, even if you do it on the same partition.
I just tried it on my Win10 and the attribute is not set when moving a folder. Who knows, maybe something really changed.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
krzysiobal

Post by *krzysiobal »

Lol, I found a workaround: if you cut the folder in TC (ctr+shift+x) and then paste it (ctrl+shift+v) in different location, all files inside get its archive attribute set on.

Tested then on Windows 7 and it behaves like you described. Looks like they changed the behaviour between XP and 7.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I just tested it on WinXP and I don't get any difference between TC (8.52a) and Explorer. Moving a directory within the same volume/partition, the archive attribute is not added to the files inside, but when moving the same directory from one volume/partition to another, the attribute gets set.

I suggest to consider testing a newer TC version to see if it fits your needs and bugs are fixed.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2umbra
A small correction: When moving only files themselves, the attribute is set, both in TC
Sorry - I forgot that I have the SetArchiveBitOnRename=0 set in my wincmd.ini - that is why my TC behaves differently from Explorer.

That aside - SetArchiveBitOnRename only works for moving files, not for moving whole folders within the same drive/partition

2krzysiobal
First, this is not true - if you move folder in Windows explorer (Win XP, no idea how newest behaves), all moved files get the archive attribute set, even if you do it on the same partition.
I just tested Windows Explorer in my Windows XP sp3 - moving files (single or multiple) sets the archive bit, moving folders does NOT set the archive bit for the files inside the folder.
Second, also not true - if you move a single or multiple files file using TC, but not the full folders, they all get archive attribute set. Weird inconsistency.
See answer here above about using SetArchiveBitOnRename=0
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2021-06-06, 17:04 UTC You registered today to report problems for version 7.55, what a joke.
No other file manager not even Windows Explorer does set the archive attribute in your case.
Could you please be a bit less unfriendly to new users? Such answers will shy away many users who may need help. I appreciate all the time and efford you put in the forum, but please consider the reaction of people to such posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Regarding the issue, I have tested this on Windows 10 with the following results:
1. Cut and Paste a folder within the same drive in Explorer or Total Commander -> the files do not get the archive attribute.
2. Cut and Paste a folder from one drive to another in Explorer or Total Commander -> the files do get the archive attribute.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-06-07, 10:27 UTC
Could you please be a bit less unfriendly to new users? Such answers will shy away many users who may need help. I appreciate all the time and efford you put in the forum, but please consider the reaction of people to such posts. Thanks for your understanding.

Regarding the issue, I have tested this on Windows 10 with the following results:
1. Cut and Paste a folder within the same drive in Explorer or Total Commander -> the files do not get the archive attribute.
2. Cut and Paste a folder from one drive to another in Explorer or Total Commander -> the files do get the archive attribute.
Ok
The results are the same I get.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64