How to disable hotkey completely: "space bar" marking files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

c0n73mn

How to disable hotkey completely: "space bar" marking files

Post by *c0n73mn »

Hi, I need "space bar" to stop marking files/folders when pressed. How to completely disable this function? Inside misc. > redefine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping) I can not find a command that do nothing (none), if I left the command to be default command (no remapping) it keeps marking. Thank you

Subject adjusted by moderator.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to disable hotkey completely: "space bar" marking files

Post by *Gral »

Create such a command yourself - on "Redefine hotkeys" window select "SPACE" and press button with small loupe (magnifier).
Select "usercmd.ini" in "Category" and press "New" button. Type name for new command, press OK and type CD on command field.
OK, OK, OK.
c0n73mn

Post by *c0n73mn »

Gral wrote: 2021-06-09, 11:49 UTC Create such a command yourself - on "Redefine hotkeys" window select "SPACE" and press button with small loupe (magnifier).
Select "usercmd.ini" in "Category" and press "New" button. Type name for new command, press OK and type CD on command field.
OK, OK, OK.
Thank you, I did it assuming it will solve my issue but i found the right way for quicklook to start working inside tc.

have a look at the QuickLook if you can, its amazing app.

https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook

https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook/wiki/File-Managers:-Total-Commander
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

I know QuickLook. It's very poor compared to what you can do with TC and Lister plugins.

Also - you didn't describe your problem correctly - if you need assign QuickLook to SPACE in TC - you should write this, and follow instructions on QuickLook site. But you can configure TC to using ANY hotkey for QuickLook. Information on the program page is misleading - it doesn't have to be a SPACE.
c0n73mn

Post by *c0n73mn »

Gral wrote: 2021-06-09, 14:04 UTC I know QuickLook. It's very poor compared to what you can do with TC and Lister plugins.

Also - you didn't describe your problem correctly - if you need assign QuickLook to SPACE in TC - you should write this, and follow instructions on QuickLook site. But you can configure TC to using ANY hotkey for QuickLook. Information on the program page is misleading - it doesn't have to be a SPACE.
yeah i described my problem incorrecly because i thought when disabling separators hotkey will solve my issue. and yes I did assign quicklook to a different hotkey than spacebar. thanks
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

c0n73mn wrote: 2021-06-09, 13:55 UTC
Gral wrote: 2021-06-09, 11:49 UTC Create such a command yourself - on "Redefine hotkeys" window select "SPACE" and press button with small loupe (magnifier).
OK, OK, OK.
Thank you, I did it assuming it will solve my issue but i found the right way for quicklook to start working inside tc.

have a look at the QuickLook if you can, its amazing app.

https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook

https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook/wiki/File-Managers:-Total-Commander
As Gral already said, its in no way amazing if your using TC or other comparable file managers.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
pkenkman

Post by *pkenkman »

Hello! I would also like to disable the spacebar's marking function - not just that, but any function, so spacebar would be considered as any other letter. I would like to be able to type out file names with spaces so TC would navigate to the right row. How could I achieve this?

OK, OK, OK.
I tried this, but while spacebar doesn't mark files anymore, pressing space still doesn't count as part of the file name that I'm typing.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2pkenkman
Are you writing about Ctrl+S?
Bind em_QuickSearchSpace ( Command: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Addons\TCFS2\TCFS2.exe /ef tcm(2915) send(` `) ) to a space.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-02-24, 13:56 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-02-23, 13:27 UTC 2pkenkman
Bind em_QuickSearchSpace ( Command: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Addons\TCFS2\TCFS2.exe /ef tcm(2915) send(` `) ) to a space.
Not a good idea.
Ctrl-S is the default for Quick Search
Last edited by white on 2023-02-24, 14:25 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link in quoted text (was corrected by author)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Horst.Epp
This is not an idea, but a solution. What else did pkenkman ask about, if not about quick search/filtering when pressing the space?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
pkenkman

Post by *pkenkman »

Thank you for your replies.

I didn't actually know about Ctrl+S. I looked into it and found that there's also the "Quick Search with Dialog" option available that does the same without having to press Ctrl+S which is almost exactly what I want. I would still like to be able to move the cursor to the file name that I'm typing like in Windows Explorer, without filtering out other files, but I guess this one will do as well.

Out of curiosity - what would this command do? I didn't want to run it (nor do I know exactly how) out of fear it would ruin my configurations somehow without me knowing how to restore things. Sorry if I sound like a noob - I took over TC with the settings that my predecessors left me, and they mostly serve me well, except in the spacebar case.
Fla$her wrote: 2023-02-23, 13:27 UTC 2pkenkman
Last edited by white on 2023-02-24, 14:26 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link in quoted text (was corrected by author)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

pkenkman wrote: 2023-02-24, 07:41 UTCI looked into it and found that there's also the "Quick Search with Dialog" option
In this case, I meant this option, just Ctrl+S is shorter for understanding.
pkenkman wrote: 2023-02-24, 07:41 UTCI would still like to be able to move the cursor to the file name that I'm typing like in Windows Explorer, without filtering out other files, but I guess this one will do as well.
For a space to do this, alas, will not work. Only with filtering. But if desired, you can combine them:
%COMMANDER_PATH%\Addons\TCFS2\TCFS2.exe /ef msg($0B,0) tcm(2915) send(` `) tcm(4005) tcm(540) msg($0B,1) tcm(2918) redraw()
pkenkman wrote: 2023-02-24, 07:41 UTCOut of curiosity - what would this command do? I didn't want to run it (nor do I know exactly how) out of fear it would ruin my configurations somehow without me knowing how to restore things.
It will be what you requested: when you press a space, a quick filter field will appear and this space will be entered.
And there is no problem in disabling at any time the binding to the key by pressing the button with a red cross on the Misc. page.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
pkenkman

Post by *pkenkman »

Thank you! That was of great help to me.