Big "thank you" to MR. Ghisler

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Woailizhi

Big "thank you" to MR. Ghisler

Post by *Woailizhi »

Hello!
I don't know whether this forum is appropriate for such a topic. If not, feel free to remove this topic. I wanted to thank MR. Ghisler for his hard work in bringing us Total COmmander 10, as for his huge efforts which came to the software accessibility for the blind.
Blind people used Total COmmander as far as I remember, but there were always problems with its accessibility. Well, people were hacking the hell out of TC to fix some common errors, like announcement of the panel, labeling of listboxes ETC, but now these modules are no longer necessary thanks to the hard work of the developer. I hope more software developers can take MR. Ghisler as an example and upgrade their software accordingly.
The problem is of course to a much larger scale. There are many factors which come to play here as it comes to the accessibility, but the largest one is lack of awareness among the developers and the users. Older software like TC does one great thing for accessibility by default: it supports keyboard operation. Newer software are designed to work with a mouse or even worse with a touch screen which kills the accessibility inside. That's another story though.
Thank you once again and I hope that TC can upgrade and blossomn even more.

With best regards,
Nuno.

With eterenal love to history and China.
Hacker

Re: Big "thank you" to MR. Ghisler

Post by *Hacker »

I completely agree with the praise of this often overlooked but very important aspect.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Woailizhi
Thanks for the feedback! I only recently learned about the OLE2 function SetHwndPropStr to set a title to a dialog box element. This isn't part of the normal Windows API functions to handle controls, so I never heared about it. This function makes it easy to give elements a name.

Please let me know if there are still problem cases. For example, I was only informed shortly before the final release that the two main listboxes didn't have names. I'm using LEFT: and RIGHT: for these two now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Woailizhi

Post by *Woailizhi »

There's always a placeto upgrade, but for now everything works well, except the button bar. I don't have an idea how to make him accessible though.

With best regards,
Nuno.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Woailizhi wrote: 2021-06-13, 12:20 UTC There's always a placeto upgrade, but for now everything works well, except the button bar. I don't have an idea how to make him accessible though.
The default shortcut to set focus on the buttonbar is Shift+Alt+F11

Or you can assign a shortcut of your own to the cm_FocusButtonBar comand.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

As petermad writes, you can press Alt+Shift+F11 to activate the button bar, then use cursor right/left to go through the buttons. While doing this, Total Commander will display the tooltip for each button. Maybe your screen reader does not pick up the tooltip? Then I could try to set the name of the bar itself to the button tooltip?
Woailizhi

Post by *Woailizhi »

Yes, no tooltip is displayed. Please try that approach

With best regards,
Nuno.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have just tried adding it, but there is a problem: While the Inspect32 tool reports the new name when I focus the button, it doesn't show the updated name when I move inside the button bar with cursor keys because it is seen as a single control. It seems that inspect32 only updates its values when switching the focus between controls. How does your screen reader handle that? Please contact me by e-mail to support at ghisler dot com if you want a test version to check whether the approach works or not. And let me know whether you want the 32-bit or 64-bit version.
Woailizhi

Post by *Woailizhi »

I have contacted you yesterday.

With best regards,
Nuno.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have only updated the 32-bit version so far, still working on 64-bit. I will contact you when it's ready.
Woailizhi

Post by *Woailizhi »

OK. Thank you.

With best regards,
Nuno.