FileFind-Bug

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

georgeb

FileFind-Bug

Post by *georgeb »

I might have stumbled by accident into what seems to be a major bug in FileFind.

Recently I've been looking into large, unnecessary files cluttering up my storage-space and I started searching for all files >3GB. This gave me (among others) a file named "Data_0.vdi". Not knowing immediately where this would belong to I found out quickly that it was the image of an Android-emulator called "Bluestacks" and was located in the c:\ProgramData\BlueStacks-Directory.

Since there were other, smaller .vdi-files, too, I then searched for "*.vdi"= all .vdi-files on the whole C-drive. Turned out they were all in that same directory.

For other purposes I had also applied the "<Ctrl>-B"-function to sort for large files. And that one gave me a second Data_0.vdi-file, albeit in the C:\Users\All users-section. So the question of redundancy arose. My suspicion was that this might be some true_location/link-issue of Win10.

So I double-checked that by going to "C:\Users\All users" and did a FileFind for "*.vdi" from there. And Bingo! All of those .vdi-files found in there as well.

For some reason I did that same search again from the parent-"C:\Users"-Folder - and - to my surprise - NOTHING! I of course checked for some typo and did the search again (subfolders always included) - but again nothing. Since I knew it had to be in there I then explicitly selected all the folders in "C:\Users" with <Ctrl>-Num+ (including "C:\Users\All Users") and Heureka! - suddenly they were found.

So the question is: is it a bug or a feature? That files from "C:\Users\All Users" are NOT FOUND from the parent-folder "C:\Users" with a standard include-subdirs-search but ARE FOUND only as soon as those sub-folders are manually selected before entering the search?
Hacker

Re: FileFind-Bug

Post by *Hacker »

Hi georgeb,
I guess links are ignored unless they are specifically selected to be included in the search, or using an INI entry.
27.08.13 Release Total Commander 8.50 public beta 1 (32/64)
13.02.13 Added: Allow to ignore NTFS directory links in various functions: wincmd.ini [Configuration] IgnoreLinks=0 Sum of: 1: copy/move/calculate space, 2: internal packers (zip, tar), 4: branch view, 8: find files, 16: ignore links even when they are selected in the current directory (32/64)
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Moderator message from: "Hacker"

Moved to the English forum.
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

Hacker wrote: 2021-07-17, 00:10 UTC Hi georgeb,
I guess links are ignored unless they are specifically selected to be included in the search, or using an INI entry.
Thanks a lot Hacker for the competent answer. It has resolved my problem/questions completely.