extended viewing copying with the path

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

masterninja2

extended viewing copying with the path

Post by *masterninja2 »

I don't know if it's possible, but I miss the possibilty to copy the file with path from one panel to the other panes, when you have the extended view.

Sometimes it comes in very handy to copy a lot of files from a extended view panel to the other panel and keep the paths intakt.

If you have let's say a number of directories and you wish to copy not all the files or some empty sub-directories, and lots of the files a named equally

By copying from the extended view, the files named the same is either being overwritten or has to be renamed when copied and all end up in the same directory.
I wish it was possible to have a way to copy a file with the path from an extended view, so the directory structure is intakt in the destination directory.

That way it would be possible to pick out files from diff directories and have them either copied or moved in one go and have the dorectory structure intakt at the destination.
The key element is that you don't need to copy/move everything and them delete what you did not want - it would minimize a lot of time when copying/moving directiry trees.
I have to move a directory tree of 10000 of dirrectories or so, but in most of them there is folders that i don't want to have copied/moved as they are empty or somthing. So its easy to have the extended view and all files are shown, but the sected files will be copied to one directory and need them to go into the ones they are copied from but in the new place.
So is there anyway to do that now either with or without an addon or is it something that could be inplemented in an upcomming version or update
Brgds Masterninja2
Win11 build 26010, TotalCommander 11.02
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: extended viewing copying with the path

Post by *petermad »

2masterninja2
In the Copy dialog (when opened from a Branch View) there is an option "Keep relative paths (relative to current directory)" [Bevar relative stier (relative til nuværende mappe)] - that should do what you ask for. It's been there since TC 8.50.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
masterninja2

Post by *masterninja2 »

@petermad
Thanks alot Peter, that's what i needed, why did I not see that before - it's been haunting me for quite some time - and now you solved it
By the way I use your extended menues and they are just great - everyone should use them - it just shows how good a tool total commander really is

brgds
Kim Færch Jacobsen (masterninja2)
Brgds Masterninja2
Win11 build 26010, TotalCommander 11.02
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2masterninja2
By the way I use your extended menues and they are just great
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar