FTPS/HTTPS instructions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Marcello Ptr

FTPS/HTTPS instructions

Post by *Marcello Ptr »

Hello,
In What's New for the 10 version of Total Commander (which I love it) https://www.ghisler.com/mailing.htm I see a section for
FTPS/HTTPS
  • Support for OpenSSL 1.1 and newer. The main dll must be named libssl-*_*.dll / libssl-*_*-x64.dll (with *_* the version number, e.g. 1_1), the libcrypto*.dll must NOT be renamed!
which I don't understand.

I would love to use TotalCommander rather than FileZilla in order to update my websites. but I only see the option [Anonymous Login (e-mail address as password)] even when the SSL/TLS checkbox is checked, while I would also expect an option like [Ask for password] like we have in FileZilla.

I'm using Win7 and have OpenSSL installed.

So maybe I'm not understanding something. Would it be possible to write some instruction (starting from OpenSSL installation) on how to make this work, and maybe later add it to the TC's help documentation too?

That would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Marcello
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: FTPS/HTTPS instructions

Post by *Dalai »

Marcello Ptr wrote: 2021-08-20, 12:28 UTCI would love to use TotalCommander rather than FileZilla in order to update my websites. but I only see the option [Anonymous Login (e-mail address as password)] even when the SSL/TLS checkbox is checked, while I would also expect an option like [Ask for password] like we have in FileZilla.
Just leave the password field empty to make TC ask for the password each time the FTP connection is used. This applies to FTP and FTPS connections alike.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Marcello Ptr

Post by *Marcello Ptr »

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately it doesn't work. It doesn't ask for any password and it quickly tries to connect.
It's too fast to read the output and I can't see any log file, but I can read one line on the top which says

Code: Select all

504 Command not implemented yet for that parameter
QUIT
then a dialog appears saying:

Connection Lost, reconnect?
which leads to the same result.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Marcello Ptr wrote: 2021-08-20, 15:25 UTC
It's too fast to read the output and I can't see any log file,

From some Post by *karlchen

If you have got an open TC connection inside TC, there is small panel right below the button bar
where TC shows the FTP commands it sends and the feedback it gets from the FTP server.
You can doubleclick on this panel and will see the temporary FTP logfile in a TC lister window.
It will not be saved once you close the FTP connection.

You can tell TC to log FTP communication and save it for later use.
Configuration - Options... - FTP - [x]Create logfile

Marcello Ptr

Post by *Marcello Ptr »

Unfortunately the modal dialog, while keeping such panel open, doesn't let the user to double click on it.

I've been able to capture the image and it says:

Connect to: <date time>
hostname=ftp.<domainame>.com
startdir=
ftp.<domainame>.com=<ip address>
220 <domainame> FTP Server Ready
AUTH TLS
504 Command not implemented for that parameter
AUTH SSL
504 Command not implemented for that parameter
I don't have any problem with FileZilla, where I'm prompted with a password
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, the TLS connection must be established before a password prompt appears. In other words, your problem is with TLS, not with the password (prompt). Unfortunately I can't help with TLS because I don't use it. The TC homepage has some instructions on how to enable SSL: https://www.ghisler.com/openssl/. Perhaps you can overwrite the files from that ZIP with the newer ones from your OpenSSL installation.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Marcello Ptr,
Are you sure your server supports FTPS? Does not look like it.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The server doesn't support explicit TLS encryption (sending TLS command). Please check with your server administrator whether TLS is supported at all. Some servers support implicit TLS (=encryption from the start) on a different port. It's also possible that they only support SFTP, which would be file transfers over an SSL secure shell connection. To use SFTP, you need my SFTP plugin, which is then used via Network Neighborhood. It's available here:
https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#filesys
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Marcello Ptr

Post by *Marcello Ptr »

Thank you for the help and clarifications.
I decided to install the plugin because they don't seem to support FTPS, and It works seamlessly.

The only minor question left is... I'm on Windows on the local side and Unix on the remote side.
For the line ending I chose System: auto-detect and after connecting I see this option goes to Windows (CR/LF)
Should I think that it's converting from CRLF to LF automatically (and vice versa) while copying?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Marcello Ptr wrote: 2021-08-23, 08:15 UTCFor the line ending I chose System: auto-detect and after connecting I see this option goes to Windows (CR/LF)
Should I think that it's converting from CRLF to LF automatically (and vice versa) while copying?
As far as I know and understand, it's a feature very similar to that in FTP which converts line-endings (of text files) if files are transferred in text mode instead of binary mode. See also here: https://www.attachmate.com/documentation/rsit-unix-802/rsit-unix-guide/data/rsit_unix_ascii_binary_rf.htm
Now I'm wondering if the plugin uses ASCII transfer mode at all and for which files...

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, this is used for uploading and downloading of text files. While an FTP server makes the conversion by itself, an SSH/SFTP/SCP server does not. Therefore when you set it to "Unix (lf)" and change the mode to Text (or automatic with the right file extensions) and upload a file, all carriage return+line feed combinations are converted to just line feed. And when you download a file, all lf only are converted to cr+lf.

Auto-detect tries to send some commands to the server to determine whether it's Unix or not. Apparently this doesn't work for your server, so you need to set it to Unix manually if you need this feature.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Marcello Ptr

Post by *Marcello Ptr »

Excellent. Thank you.