View mp4 files in quick view

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

/torben

View mp4 files in quick view

Post by */torben »

I have been a Windows-/TotalComander-user since NortonCommander. Nevertheless, I am definitely not a power user. I have always had problems with file-viewing. I use Ulister til view pdf-, picture- and office files. But it’s a nightmare to get it going when I go to a new pc, update or reinstall my Windows. I regularly use 4 different pc’s and I have never succeeded in having the same functionality of TotalComander on all my pcs. By now for instance, I only can view mp4-files in Quick View on one pc. On the other three it only shows letters and numbers but no video. I have tried in wain to copy the working installation til the other pcs (which sometimes worked with ulister). I have tried to use Mmedia 2.62 and irfanview, but it does not work. I have searched on “view mp4 files in quick view” on this site, but found no information that helped me. Especially have I read “How to watch mp4 videos with lister in TC10?”, and there I got the impression, that maybe something is missing in my installeation!? For instance Wilhelm M. writes: “In the lister window have a look into "Options/Configure/Multmedia”. But on my option window there is no /Configure/Multmedia option! - In TotalCommander configuration the option windows does not show an /Configure/Multmedia option!
What I kindly ask for, is a step-by-step guide starting at level 0, showing me and others how to view mp4 files in quick view. This should be a great help. Thank you in advance.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: View mp4 files in quick view

Post by *Gral »

First of all - which version of TC you use?
Current version is 10.00. If you use older, download and install newest one!
With this version the only thing needed for view MP4 files in Lister/Quick View are LAVFilters - https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases
Download and unpack - x64 version to FILTER64 and/or 32-bit version to FILTER32 directory.

P.S. If someone refers to "Lister" it means you need to start internal file viewer with the F3 key.
Then under "Options" - "Configure" you can find "Multimedia" tab!
You can get the same from main TC window - "Configuration" - "Option" - "Edit/View" - "Configure internal viewer"

Note that "Lister" and "QuickView" is essentially this same viewer!
/torben

Re: View mp4 files in quick view

Post by */torben »

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH! I have used so many hours to make this work on all my pcs.
Yes, I always use the latest version of Total Commander, but of course you could not now.
I followed your advice and now quick view works with MOV- and MP4-files.
Thank you also for clarifying the use of the term "Lister". It was a great help.
Yours /Torben