Why is cm_SyncChangeDir disabled on manual path change?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Why is cm_SyncChangeDir disabled on manual path change?

Post by *wanderer »

Scenario:

You have two folders, one in each panel. You also have enabled cm_SyncChangeDir.

If you go to the "address bar" (above the files list) and edit the path to something different, TC loads the new path but disables cm_SyncChangeDir.

The question is "why"? Is there a specific reason or it just happens to work like this? If the latter is true, i'd like to request that cm_SyncChangeDir is not disabled in such a case.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why is cm_SyncChangeDir disabled on manual path change?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

People would expect when you go to a subdirectory of the current diectory using the breadcrumb bar, Total Commander would go to that subdirectory also in the other panel. This can get rather complex, e.g. when the user tries to go two levels down, but only the first of the two also exists on the other side. Therefore I have decided to not support the breadcrumb bar in synchangedir.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Thanks for explaining.

Well, there are cases in which this could be undesired behaviour. Could there perhaps be an INI flag which when set, the cm_SyncChangeDir would stay active when the path is manually edited?

I have the following situation:

- BasePath1\Dir1\Dir1a (left panel)
- BasePath2\Dir1\Dir1a (rightpanel)

I edit the right panel's breadcrumb bar and change BasePath2 to BasePath3. You see, i have multiple folders in a certain level with the same structure beneath them, and it's quicker to just edit and continue rather than CD-ing...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why noit just re-enable cm_syncchangedir? For example, you could define a hotkey to enable it quickly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Well, that's what i'm currently doing. I asked if it could be set by an INI parameter mostly because it would feel more "proper" to me (for my case), but as it seems, i'm the only one here asking for it, so... never mind.

Thanks for your time.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯